Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with my Dual Mass Flywheel that is in my 2003 ford focus zx3, with the 2.3l DOHC MTX75.

And I've come down to the conclusion that I want to do the conversion to a single piece flywheel. Now I have found 1 kit that I like, but others have told me they can be found cheaper, but still made out of good material. The only thing is that all the flywheel/clutch kits everyone shows me, are for the 05-08 focus 2.3l models, mine is a 03 2.3l?

Here is the kit I found, and like so far> http://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-23...onversion-clutch-kit-ford-focus-23l-8-78.aspx

Is there any other kits out there people have had very good expediences with?

And are the new flywheel bolts going to be a Ford only part? Or are there places online that sell good, but cheap flywheel bolts?

Thank you, Rep will be added for all knowledgeable replies.

Djzx3

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
That kit also come's w/ a slave cylinder too. Have you looked at other's like Focussport, Central Florida motorsport's? I beleive their slave is optional

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I need everything, slave, clutch plate, pressure plate, and one piece flywheel.

CFM wants about what PhoenixFriction wants.

And

FSwerks wanted almost $700 for everything.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Threadjack >> Exactly what does "dual mass" mean? Never did understand that bit.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
C-F-M has the bolts for a D23 for $24
Exedy 1 pc flywheel $250 from Amazon. It's not listed for the D23, but CFM sells the same flywheel listed as for 03-09 D20 and D23.

Pick any clutch kit you want to use that includes the rest, all should work with that flywheel. 2 different size flywheel shims are available from Rock Auto if you need those, and have a micrometer to show if you need one. I don't even have a measurement to give you, but with some research maybe we can find out.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That^ would be good if we figured out if I do need shims? Cause this kit just says bolt on and go, no modifications needed. So in the case of this Phoenix kit saying no modifications needed, would I still need shims?

And (S0C0nFused), this explains what a Dual Mass flywheel is in way better description.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/38790/dual_mass_flywheelclutch_replacement_options.aspx

EDIT: and is there anything special about taking this DMF off? Is it going to like spring out once I loosen the bolts or is anything going to fall out? I just want to know if there is anything in particular I should be weary of.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I took it off, and I was telling pops who was saying "Ah just put a clutch kit in there and go", that the car needed a new flywheel. When I took it off I was able to put one hand on the back side, and one hand on the front side, and notice play in it back and fourth.

So a new flywheel is defiantly going to happen, and I found the PhoenixFriction kit elsewhere for 456, so that's better too.

I think as long as I don't need shims, I'm all set for the moment.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay guys I caught something here that is making me sketched out. Look at these two links below, one is the kit I was looking at on e-bay and one is direct from phoenixfriction.

The only thing I have noticed is, the one on ebay say the disc size is Disc Size: 9-3/8" x 10T x 1-1/8".

And the one from Phoenixfriction is 8-7/8" x 23T x 1".

Which one do I need? With this bit of info, should I stay away from the e-bay one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-3...ord|Model:Focus|Year:2003&hash=item20b7522263

http://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-23...onversion-clutch-kit-ford-focus-23l-8-78.aspx

I'm glad I caught this before I sent money to either one of them. But could someone tell me which one is the size I need?

EDIT: I measured my clutch disc, and it measures out to 9 3/8's? Am I missing something here? The E-bay one is right and the actual company is wrong? But the company is the E-bay seller?

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the problem that I'm having, is that my stock clutch disc is 9-3/8", the same size as the pressure plate contact surface.

Pheonixfriction is saying their disc size is 8-7/8", and that the Pressure Plate OD is 9-1/16".

How is that? If the pressure plate is 9-1/16, and the clutch disc is 8-7/8, then wouldn't the clutch disc be too small for the pressure plate. And they don't even give a size for the actual flywheel.

This is what it says for measurements. http://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-23...onversion-clutch-kit-ford-focus-23l-8-78.aspx

And I have no clue what this stuff means?> x 23T x 1" < it is right after the clutch disc size in the link.

This is getting confusing, is there a site that just has a kit like this, but with all the right measurements, and for under $550?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I have no idea, and this is really starting to get confusing. If your looking for the right info you'll probably never find. Now I'm sure the clutch kit will work but this is weird that no one can give a correct measurement or the right one?

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm about to say F it and throw down 550 on exedy OE replacement from FSWERKS. I've been reading good things about this kit.

This is a very important part of a car, and there has to be a point where you say enough bullshit and just buy the best.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^Agreed, if your having problems just finding specs for the clutch then who knows what quality it may have. I mean it could be perfectly fine, but it's best to go with what you know works. It's not like it's easy to just pull the tranny to put a different one in there ya know? I also have heard good things about the exedy brand clutches.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exactly what I've been telling pops. "I don't want to have to tear back into this a year later cause of shitty parts".

I'm already regretting putting the sub-frame back on without changing the sway bar, and I haven't even put the sub-frame back up yet, but I don't have the extra $$$ for that right now after having to buy this Exedy kit, atleast I'll know how to drop it quicker now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm hoping to order by the weekend, so I'll let you know what I end up with. I should have it in next weekend.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts