Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm in the process of putting together all my engine parts before i go turbo in the spring. but by the time spring rolls around i might have close to 90k miles. i don't know if that is too many to start modding and boosting from, or i should invest in a shortblock from cfm. so...
1) keep my stock block, buy forged internals + labor.
or...
the other) the cfm shortblock.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Cosworth makes a carbon-injected cast iron block (or something like that) for the Zetec. They claim it can hold more than 30psi of boost.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Cosworth doesnt make that block it is called a CGI block and is made by Montune over seas and realy isnt needed unless your taking the boost above 325HP

imprtslyr0223 Build you kit and get it on and running with 12psi or less with a proper tune you should be fine till you get another engine ready or buy one , We have the best deal by far on Zetec short blocks

Tom

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't want anything i don't need. and a cgi block is completely unneccessary. and i understand that you do have great zetec short blocks. but when it comes down to money, which would be the best route. also i intend on putting everything together at the same time in the spring. i also have access to every tool i'd need to put a new shortblock in or even swap out the internals. but if i was to swap out the internals, would i need a tune after that or can i just put everything back together again?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
imprtslyr0223 said:
i don't want anything i don't need. and a cgi block is completely unneccessary. and i understand that you do have great zetec short blocks. but when it comes down to money, which would be the best route. also i intend on putting everything together at the same time in the spring. i also have access to every tool i'd need to put a new shortblock in or even swap out the internals. but if i was to swap out the internals, would i need a tune after that or can i just put everything back together again?
Tom, is only trying to help YOU, dont bite people's head off, that attitude wont get u far!!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah man i definitely wasn't showing any attitude. i don't think anything i said would suggest that i was biting anybodies head off. so if this thread could get back on topic that would be great <----not an attitude either btw.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Its kind of like saying the FRPP sts is Ford, its actually Steeda, same principal. If you look at that link, it says, Cosworth "CGI" block. Probably cheaper from the maker instead of Cosworth being a middleman.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
whatever the block says it doesnt matter. get a compression check to see how well your motor is holding up or better yet a leakdown test i beleive it is called. check how well your motor has held up over the miles. you know what im saying. and if it is in good shape, just make sure your tune is excellent and install the turbo and get it tuned and then start building a shortblock or buy one from focus-power. you know that toms stuff makes good power and is worth the money so that is what i would do.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
take it to any shop they should be able to do it. it is worth knowing whether or not your car can be boosted.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how much does that cost? the reason i posted this is to in the end save as much money as possible. since i'm in college i do not want to blow 2500+ on a shortblock unless it is completely necessary.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
a compression test shouldnt cost more then 100 bux. and that is a liberal estimate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
For less than $100 you could buy the compression tester and do it yourself...[thumb]

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea but i am lazy so i dont recommend things like that because thats work. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Its as easy as changing your plugs and takes about 15 minutes if you take your time.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
prolly kragen or pep boys would be good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts