Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'va had my 03 pzev for 1 month now and i already have a problem. heres the scoop i have an 03 centennial zts and, yesterday i went o my bank on my lunch hour from work. On the way back before i got onto ia highway i noticed that my speedo was all messed up. When i let off the gas it would drop to 0 then when i hit the gas again it would shoot back up to speed. then when i got on the highway i got about 1/4 mile and my instrument panel lit up like an x-mas tree then fuel cut. wouldn't go when i hit the gas. I pulled over and it wouldn't start back up. Get this I ONLY have 1620 miles on the car and its dead. Called 24 hour roadside and had it towed to the dealer and im waiting to hear from them to find out whats worng. Anyone else have any troubles????? Whats your input?

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
[V]

dude... I wonder what happened. I haven't really had problems other than starting it up on cold days or when I park it at an incline to long (several days). Although I have a PZEV, I'm guessing the problem is electrical. I'm not sure what to say other than I hope that you don't give up hope on the Focus and continue to be as fanatical as ever. But get that dealer's explaination! Raise hell and perhaps deal out for a newer and better if at all possible! Then again... you could just go with Honda... [xx(]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason for miller is that my last name is Miller hence my the user name my AIM is MillerTyme4lyfe but anyhow my dad is good buds with the owner of the dealership, but my dad is on vacation right now so that doesn't really help. i did get a good deal on the car thought it had a 17900 sticker and i got it for 13200. i hope its nothing. im gonna head down there tomorrow morning to see whats up

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I had a problem that sounds somewhat similar, my PZEV ZX3 had 2200 miles on it and started acting funny with its gauges and cluster lights... a few days later it died (on the highway!) and got towed away by Roadside Assistance. Mine had a faulty alternator. I know at least one other guy whose alternator went too, but his is a Zetec ZX3. It's under warranty, so I woulnd't fret, but that's the only issue I've had with it, and it's got almost 5k now.
OT- Where in MA, what dealer do you go to?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lil PZEV - Danvers Ford on the northshore near Peabody
420 - owner borught it down to 16200 then 3000 rebate

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
It's those damn Mexicans they got putting these cars together. [joke]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Millertyme said:
...Anyone else have any troubles????? Whats your input?
On the surface, my problem may seem to be related to yours, but I wouldn't bet on it. At about 2k miles the temperature guage decided to stop resetting all the way after shut-down. So, as a result, every time I'd go to start my car, it'd be a little bit higher...until it was WAY past the redline. *see my avatar*

This problem keeps coming and going. Twice it's came and went, lasting about a week at a time. The next time it does it, I'm taking it to the dealership to have the entire cluster replaced. Why haven't I gotten it done, yet? Simple. I don't want a bunch of redneck greasemonkeys scratching-up my interior with their screwdrivers and other mechanical wizardry.

Anyway, that's my attempt at constructive input.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Definately sounds electrical. I've heard of similiar issues with the Zetec and one of the battery cables.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Egz said:
Definately sounds electrical. I've heard of similiar issues with the Zetec and one of the battery cables.
Yep. No question it's an electrical problem. Tell you one issue that I heard of (and the place I heard it is highly reliable - a 'net discussion forum for professional auto technicians) - there is ground point behind the kick-panel to the left of the driver's footwell, where several ground wires all come together at one point screwed to the body. Apparently, several Foci have turned up with this ground screw loose.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If we are talking rebates in 'price of the car' then mine was 9900! Except it doesn't work that way. And don't let dealers fool you into including a rebate in the price of the car either.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Pretail why? I always considered the price of the car to be what I'm physically paying (downpayment + financing)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It's those damn Mexicans they got putting these cars together.

actually, the sedans are made in Wayne Michigan, so the damn Americans made it [:)~] Soon, all focus will be made in Wayne.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Not to hijack but ... Egz,

I buy cars and suggest people buy cars based on the value of the vehicle (mostly influenced by what THEY think it's worth), THEN after the price of the actual car is determined I apply my rebates.

When I went to buy the Focus, I already looked at the exact cars in the dealer's inventory that I wanted, determined a price I was willing to pay based on MSRP and dealer cost, then figured out what my financing would be after fees etc.... getting a monthly payment based on a few different interest rates.

So the guy sits down with me, and tries to play the monthly payment game with me... "Well how much can you afford to pay per month"... the thing is, I already had the numbers for him. The guy thought I was joking or seriously mistaken and got his manager... his manager said "According to this, will we be making ANY money on the car?" ... We talked about it and he came back to me with 499 more than I asked, and since he was quick and accomodating, I shook his hand.

Anyway, that's my story....

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Okay, I see your point. I don't think I ever got into the numbers game. Then again, my last purchase, I already new what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. It was just getting it down from MSRP. Good ol X-plan. They were pissed on that (was a locate). Had my dad along as backup since he plays a mean angry cop.

Game on with topic.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i got my car back today...... definately electrical.... what was on the work order is this "found open circuit ckp 8 r14 ckp9 rj4 chased circuit from pcm to ckp sensor, found loose pins in connections c1026 replaced connector"... so anyways its all good now

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Glad you got it fixed pretty fast.
In response to some of the other posts, my ZTW was assembled in Michigan, Engine in Mexico, ATX in USA (forget where specifically).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts