Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 ZT5 and last week the driver side headlight went out. I replaced the bulb and it was back in working order. Well 1 week later the headlight was out again. I thought maybe I got a bad bulb so I took the bulb out and tested it on the other side and it lite up just fine. So I put it back on the driver side and it will not work. It's odd because the bulb will light up when I use the high beam and it worked for a week or so when using the low beams. The passenger side headlight works fine on both high and low. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I'm not the most handy person when it comes to cars. I thought maybe it was a connection issue but not sure that can be true when it gets a connection when using the high beams. I'm at a loss and really don't want to bring it to a mechanic unless I have too. Any suggestions on what I may try? Thank you all in advance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF

Moved this to General Tech Chat, better for answers to most repair questions that don't have a special section.

Headlight connector on the driver's side might have a connection issue from what you've mentioned, looking at that & checking for power there would be a good step.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
The left and right low beams are wired in parallel. The high beams are also wired in parallel.

So, if one side is working and the bulbs are good (you have already confirmed that), then most likely the connector is bad on the driver's side.

Look at it closely and see if you can see anything such as discoloration or melted insulation on the wires. Also check to see if the bulb fits tightly in the connector.

If nothing is visually wrong, then check for voltage using a multimeter. The connector will have three terminals. One is ground, and the other two are low and high beam. If there is voltage present, but the bulb is not on then the connection is bad. If there is no voltage present, then check the wiring for a cut or break.

Also, when you are handling the bulbs, be sure to wipe them clean before installing them. Rubbing alcohol will work good for that. Fingerprints can shorten the life of the bulb.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Good catch, iminhell! I didn't look that far. The high and low beam circuits are parallel up to the fuses. After that they shouldn't really be considered to be in parallel because the fuses can separate the circuits.

So, check the fuses shown in the owner manual.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
No one has mentioned the relay(s)......................

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
No one has mentioned the relay(s)......................

Relays are in series.
Meaning that is a relay is bad, both headlights will be affected.

A singular problem is more than likely a fuse.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Okay that makes sense now.

It's hard to live in my brain lol

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah, not a relay problem as neither side would work as iminhell mentioned.

And this is probably not a fuse problem either. OP said "I checked the fuses and they are all good". I am gathering from his description that the low beam worked sometimes on the driver's side....so, there seems to be an intermittent connection somewhere.

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
I save the $20 cost or whatever of new ones by taking a plastic credit card like the garbage preapprovals they always send in the mail and wrapping a carefully cut piece of like 400 sandpaper to match the card cut to like 1/16" wide tab and overlay the card tool with sandpaper and then insert inside the connector to sand it clean. Pull the pin out of other end and do that end of the connection as well and good as new, make sure there's good contact pressure there too and they work like brand new and forever with a bit of grease in there to waterproof it. If pin is located in light assembly you have to figure out how to get in there but worth the cost of new connector since maybe 10 minutes work there (or 6X$20=$120/hr. pay rate).

Did both on my '00 about 3 mos. ago when the lows began to not burn at full intensity, now they work perfect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts