1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i'd do the rear first. better performance and it looks way better.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, but $120 versus $700 to convert the rears... plus the rears only are about 25% of the total stopping power

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
That's true, i just really like the look of rear disc brakes!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know... I absolutely hate the fact it's 2015 and I'm driving a car with drum brakes even if it's just the rear... my last car was a '93 and had four wheel discs

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I hate drum brakes. My 04 had them. Hated looking at em. Hated changing em. Thats why I got sport package. But I would just upgrade the fronts, considering the price of the conversion.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno, having to do a brake job a quarter as often is nice.

Though I opted for rear discs on mine so what can I say? =P
Yes, I didn't realize it until after I had them that drums wear out so slowly! Unfortunately, I was very limited in my selection for my car so I literally had no choice, other than get a Chevy Cruz... yuck.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate drum brakes. My 04 had them. Hated looking at em. Hated changing em. Thats why I got sport package. But I would just upgrade the fronts, considering the price of the conversion.
I know, I hate looking at them too! But ya, you're right, the cost to convert the rears is way too much when I am on a budget... I'd even get new wheels first to help hide the drums as I don't care for my wheels that much either... and I want to get the Ford Racing handling kit too... decisions, decisions...

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i'd do the handling kit before anything else. and tune.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'd do the handling kit before anything else. and tune.
But...you don't have rear drums... That's a handicap I need to address before I do much else, in the reviews that's almost 20 feet longer stopping distance from 60 MPH... I'm just hoping the $120 brake upgrade kit would help close that gap considerably, maybe if we keep bumping the thread we'll get some people who know more to chime in. :)

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
True, safety first. but you also have to consider your driving style. do you go hard often or autocross? if not, then it's not necessarly a big deal to leave the breaks as is. You will get much more enjoyment out of the suspension and tune being upgraded.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
What exactly is the brake "upgrade" in the kit? I'm guessing decent performance oriented brake pads and rotors, possibly drilled or slotted?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True, safety first. but you also have to consider your driving style. do you go hard often or autocross? if not, then it's not necessarly a big deal to leave the breaks as is. You will get much more enjoyment out of the suspension and tune being upgraded.
All good points man... I guess I do want the safety factor first as I do plan on driving harder with all the other mods in, might as well address it's weakest point first... I suppose the bottom line is will the $120 investment help much or is it a waste of time and money.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
what all comes in the kit?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What exactly is the brake "upgrade" in the kit? I'm guessing decent performance oriented brake pads and rotors, possibly drilled or slotted?
what all comes in the kit?
Sorry, should have posted it first... only $120 with free shipping on Amazon but here is a link with more details: http://www.thebrakeguys.com/store/k5976-power-stop-z23-evolution-sport-1click-brake-kit-p-21529.html

So ya, slotted and crossed drilled and ceramic pads... seems like an insane deal and from what I could find seems to have good reviews... I was hoping to eventually hear from someone who actually knows about this exact kit or the brand in general.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i havent used this kit before but i have upgraded to slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads on previous cars. They defintely look cooler but i can't say i noticed a huge difference in braking. I dont drive very hard though either so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It's probably not a bad investment, its always nice to have better braking. But don't forget what changing brake bias can do to handling. If it bites harder in the front, it can have a tendency to "nose dive" and unload the rear a bit, but that's a pretty extreme example, I doubt this upgrade would cause that much of a difference.

Have you driven the car hard yet? I'm lucky and there are a few good canyon roads near me to benchmark on. But I've always been a fan of pushing the car near its limit and upgrading what I feel is weakest first. I upgraded to coilovers because I got a steal on them, but after some driving I realize my next upgrades should be sway bars and tires, solely based on feel. Know what I mean? Sorry for the long response, but that's just all my opinion on the matter haha. You should upgrade what you feel is necessary based on feel and budget [thumb]

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
OEM style rotors will be the most beneficial for most uses. Most mass, most surface area. Slotted are OK for some uses, can give a little more "bite" feel when you stop, although I've never found them to actually improve stopping distances.

Pads are where the performance is at. I wouldn't worry about rears until you have a legitimate reason to upgrade them (i.e. road course racing). A good set of performance brake pads will help tremendously.

It's also important to remember that your brake performance is directly tied to your tire's grip. If you can lock up the tires (well, have ABS kick in, at least...) then your brakes are fine and all the upgrades in the world won't do anything for you. If your tires are up for it, better brake pads will help you stop quicker and will resist fade more then stock pads. Bigger rotors are needed to keep things cool if brakes are overheating. Different brake fluid may also be of use if you are boiling the fluid.

If you're not experiencing significant pad or fluid fade, and the rotors are not overheating, and you are able to lock up the tires while braking, then any brake upgrades you do will be a waste of money. Get some good tires first, then see what needs to be addressed in your brakes. Generally the first order of business after tires is different pads.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's probably not a bad investment, its always nice to have better braking. But don't forget what changing brake bias can do to handling. If it bites harder in the front, it can have a tendency to "nose dive" and unload the rear a bit, but that's a pretty extreme example, I doubt this upgrade would cause that much of a difference.

Have you driven the car hard yet? I'm lucky and there are a few good canyon roads near me to benchmark on. But I've always been a fan of pushing the car near its limit and upgrading what I feel is weakest first. I upgraded to coilovers because I got a steal on them, but after some driving I realize my next upgrades should be sway bars and tires, solely based on feel. Know what I mean? Sorry for the long response, but that's just all my opinion on the matter haha. You should upgrade what you feel is necessary based on feel and budget [thumb]
OEM style rotors will be the most beneficial for most uses. Most mass, most surface area. Slotted are OK for some uses, can give a little more "bite" feel when you stop, although I've never found them to actually improve stopping distances.

Pads are where the performance is at. I wouldn't worry about rears until you have a legitimate reason to upgrade them (i.e. road course racing). A good set of performance brake pads will help tremendously.

It's also important to remember that your brake performance is directly tied to your tire's grip. If you can lock up the tires (well, have ABS kick in, at least...) then your brakes are fine and all the upgrades in the world won't do anything for you. If your tires are up for it, better brake pads will help you stop quicker and will resist fade more then stock pads. Bigger rotors are needed to keep things cool if brakes are overheating. Different brake fluid may also be of use if you are boiling the fluid.

If you're not experiencing significant pad or fluid fade, and the rotors are not overheating, and you are able to lock up the tires while braking, then any brake upgrades you do will be a waste of money. Get some good tires first, then see what needs to be addressed in your brakes. Generally the first order of business after tires is different pads.
Sorry for the long multi-quote but I appreciate both of your input, both repped! I'm thinking that since the kit comes with ceramic pads it's worth it overall, now I'm just wondering if there are upgraded drum shoes available to help keep my braking bias?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts