Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1.8 Zetec Manual Transmission and she wont start [mad]

When you turn the key, the starter motor solenoid clicks, but nothing else happens.

Here is what I have done:

1) I tried to jump the focus from another car, but I still get the solenoid clicking. - I suspect the battery is ok (but I will give it a charge anyway).

2) I put the car in gear and rolled it back and forth to try to free the starter (if it was stuck), still no joy just a clicking noise - starter not stuck?

3) with the air filter off and the MAF disconnected I tried starting the car still just a clicking noise. So I put a wire from the +ve on the battery to the +ve on the starter solenoid.. The starter motor turns happily and soounds free and easy - starter motor/solenoid working ok?

4) The next thing that happened that was odd.. with the MAF still disconnected, I removed the "ignition" relay from the engine bay and tried starting the car. The starter turned!!

I put the relay back in, and the clicking returned. I removed it again, but I could not replicate the starter turning condition.

So I am not really sure what the issue is..

I am going to charge the battery and perhaps test the coil if I can find instructions anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
How old is the battery and what is the battery voltage measure?

Have you removed, cleaned, and re-tightened the battery cables at the battery end of things?

·
Registered
359 Posts
duh... replace ur battery or take it up to your local auto part store and have it tested

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is the battery and what is the battery voltage measure?

Have you removed, cleaned, and re-tightened the battery cables at the battery end of things?

The battery looks to be the original Ford one, so 8 years old?

Not been able to get a reliable reading for the voltage. The volt meter reads 15.6v when the battery is disconnected from the car. Which is obviously wrong from a 12v battery.

I have the battery off now for recharge overnight and will check the connections when I put it back on tomorrow.

I would have thought if the battery was duff that the car would have started when I jumped it from the other car?

Ta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried checking for engine codes?
Nope, not checked for engine codes yet as I do not know how to on the Focus. I take it the Haynes-book-of-lies will say how?

Does the code system need a special diagnostic tool? Or is it an older system where you can use an LED to flash long and short pulses that can be interpreted into codes? Or is it a system where the CEL light flashes?

Ta.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It would be kind of difficult if your car is not starting, but most of the local parts stores here in the US will scan them for free with their OBD reader. You need to plug into the OBD port above the driver side foot well.

I recently replaced the battery on my 2001 Focus. Most batteries are only good for about 5 years but mine lasted about 8 so you may want to try a new battery as you'll likely need one soon anyways.

Also 12V is the min requirement for your car's electronics to operate, not the usual operating voltage of your battery. Most cars will run at about 14-15V if memory serves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the info. My current plan is to refit the old battery after a charge and then check for loose wires around the battery and coil pack and give it another go. If no joy I will get a new battery.

I am still abit confused about how I got the starter motor to turn from the ignition.. I removed the starter relay and it worked (only once). Are there any wires in the ignition circuit that run near the fuse box?

Ta.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for you help everyone.

I just fitted the recharged battery today and the car starts. I guess it is time for a new one!!

Ta.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts