Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.... i have a 1.8 zetec 1999 (UK) its just topped 70,000.

i have a couple of mods, air intake, exhaust is on the way after xmas, im expecting a bit more power throughout the powerband once thats done...

does anyone no of any 'simple/inexpensive' mods that i can make that will give me just a little more power? at the moment its topping out at 130mph... and takes me about 9 seconds to 60mph...

would removing spare wheel/excess weight really make a change?

maybe different MAF sensors or something??

would appreciate any advice

cheers, rich

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
not too much, unless ur gonna remove alot of weight, its not really worth it. u have to figure ur car weighs 2000 lbs (it doesn't but it makes numbers easier so you can gain theory) and you have 100 whp. so this means that for every 20 lbs you take out of ur car, you essentially gain 1 whp. so if you were to take out 200 lbs which basically means ur interior gutted, then you would gain about 10 whp. not too much of course, but thats the idea. actually, this is an integral equation as every time you take away weight, ur HP/weight ratio changes, but like i said, general theory!! cheap mods would be porting the IM and TB and if you can get ur hands on a new headgasket set and you know how to take apart a head and put it back together (assuming you have the tools or know someone who does) then you can gain a good amount!!! but its not that simple to do and i know you were looking for semi simple. but w/o all boltons and cams, you won't gain too much!!

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Remove everything in your sig, that has to be good for something.

Otherwise Karl at Massive has done some work with owners of 1.8s, give him a shout.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
weight reduction is one of those magic mods actually, it'll increase your acceleration/handling/braking/mpg. BUT it requires large amounts for small gains. The generally accepted rule of thumb is 100 lbs increases 1/4 mile time by .10 (the same as 10 hp), and 1-3% better mileage (assuming you average 30 mpg youll now get 30.9 with the high estimate. Unsprung weight will be the money maker though. Which is the wheels/tires/suspension etc. Grab a pair of lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guys... good advice there!

ther is no way i can get rid of my stereo lol i love the music... but i can try and get a larger TB and get the manifold sorted by my exhaust people that should help gain more power??

as for the weight removal i think im aiming for a bit much there, as i want to keep my car drivable and comftable for passengers too :( but thanks for the advice guys

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
as for the weight removal i think im aiming for a bit much there, as i want to keep my car drivable and comftable for passengers too :( but thanks for the advice guys
The manifold and TB will at least give you better throttle response and the exhaust will help a bit in the power area, if it is extensive enough.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i would swap the exhaust manifold to an ST170 manifold and get a hiflow sports cat or the ST170 cat is actually better than the stock zetec cat, get a ST flex pipe and mod the flange to fit a 2.5 inch Piper cat back exhaust system. thats what ive done and i noticed the difference greatly, and i dont just mean the sound :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts