Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, yesterday I got engine lights on so I checked the engine en I noticed that this hose was disconnected. What is this hose for and is that a problem that its disconnected? I connected again but now I'm wondering what the problem is.
My car also uses too much engine oil. I don't know what the problem is. Usage is around 1 litre for 800 km (480miles).

And advise is welcome!

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,404 Posts
That is the valve cover breather hose. It must be connected. Duratecs dont normally use a lot of oil but there are 3 non engine wear reasons it can. Sludge buildup in the cylinder head can slow the drain back into the oil pan and allow a lot of oil to be pulled into that hose that was disconnected. Second is a bad pcv valve/hose can increase the crankcase pressure. Third is a leaky valve cover. Unbolt and remove one of your ignition coils and see if the end is coated in oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check my ignition coils and it seems not so bad to me? Here are the pictures.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,404 Posts
Last one has a little oil but overall they dont look too bad. Pcv valve and hose are underneath the intake manifold by the transmission. Hose will split with age.

·
Registered
16,336 Posts
I'd clean the ends of those rubbers with solvent, the rust residue will induce spark leak by flashing down the sides of plug instead of going through the gap.

If the rubber end gets oil soft rot then clip the entire end off to make the spark still have to work to get down side of plug.

Either one of those moves if needed can extend your tuneup thousands more miles.

Reactions: pbfoot
1 - 7 of 7 Posts