Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy

I got 1.6 zetec - i spent to0 much on this car for my to scrap it and just buy a ST which would difinitely be easier but i found this one ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ford-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a147ea5f0

How much work is actual involved in upgrading ?

I take it i will need a st ecu, and i found on that wont need coding for the key to work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCU...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c4e1af4c

What about gear box? as i know i can straight swap st hubs, does that mean i dont need to change the gear box, are the bell housing bolts in the same place, if i do need to changed the gear box and i just get a standard st one, take it its all in the same place and drive shafts are all the same? esp as the drive shafts just slide straight into st hubs.

Sorry about all the question kinda poking on the dark and information about this kinda stuff is limited.

Cheers

Pete

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
that engine will mate to the mtx75 5 speed transmission no problems, meaning you wont have to change axles and what not.

the engine will run with the standard ecm (atleast in the states) however, you will need to delete the vct (which makes it much more driveable around town) and decide whether to run the intake mani in short or long runners. If you get the ST (ST170/SVT) ecm, youll need to have your keys programmed at Ford to the new ecm.

Does your 1.6 have vct at all? if yes, intake or exhaust side?

Honestly, youll prolly get a better response from a UK based website...cuz thats the limit of my knowledge on UK cars...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression there was little or no difference between the cars, just names of components, i dont think i have variable camshaft timing but i wouldnt know how to check to be fair.

plus I'm not likely to get a response from many people in the uk right now, but i think ill find a uk site and post the question on there to, thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
1.This engine of e-bay doesn't have VCT (variable valve timing) found in ST170
2. This engine from e-bay doesn't have dual stage intake manifold found in ST170
I don't think so that your ECU (1.6l) will work on this engine unless is remapped.
RS engine in stripped form looks same as zetec, in final form has DURATEC badge on the valve cover. If its low compression u will have to go forced induction, good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know what I think it will be slot less hassle for me to buy a ST170, and transfer all my mods over..

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm very mechancally minded, and have everything i need to do it, engine crane, stand, and a rather large colection of tools (not that i dont need more!), but i dont know any history behind these engines, and have only just started to learn about them. as the only engines I've modded before are Z20LETs, and there is so much information avaliable for them its easy. but im struggling hard to find out usefully information about these :(

anyway, in all... I'm here to learn!

and welcome all advice from those more experianced!

and thanks for the links!

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.0 zetec is a straight swap. even into zetec fiestas/pumas. very easy conversion.
only extras i think you need is 1.8/2.0 front hubs/brakes because the driveshafts are thicker but i may be wrong.

im the same as yourself with more of a knowledge of vauxhalls

1 - 10 of 10 Posts