Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone! Thanks for ALL of the information before my car showed up (after 12 weeks of waiting) to having the car for a little over a month now.

Took a road trip from Milwaukee to Flint, MI this past weekend. The car only had approx. 650 miles upon departure. It was a blast to drive through Chicago and into Michigan! Gotta love this new interpretation of what we have in the 2012 Focus!

One thing that became very apparent, was the amount "input" that was needed for the steering at highway speeds! My sister was my other driver for the last (2) hours of the trip into Flint. She also commented on how that she had to perform additional input for the steering and how it felt!

I had to use two hands most of the trip at 55+ mph. By-the-way, the car "finally" started showing great mileage too. I was getting approx 35-37mpg based upon 60, 65-70 and up to 80mph!

This car truly has a lot of pep in it. Getting back to the previous comment on the steering input; I know that there are other threads about this issue. What is happening me for me today is, I took it in for its first service visit to the selling dealer. Here is my "laundry list" that I provided to the service writer:

1:) MFT has "blown-up" several times when a USB device has been used for audio (iPod Touch-primarily) While my sister drove my car back to Milwaukee, she called me after an hour about how the screen froze and nothing responded. The volume could not be adjusted and she was pretty much stuck.

I called my sales rep and asked for his "remote" assistance. He suggested that she unplug her Sansa USB-MP3 player, then turn off the car for at least 10-15mins.

Sister called me back later and stated that the sound system was running again. When this has happened to me with my iPod Touch, I had to do the same thing. (car was built: Aug 10-2011 has ver. 2.11 installed at the factory)

2:) Has anyone had any "difficulties" in blowing the horn? the first couple of weeks that I had the car, I had drivers jump into my lane and I pressed on the horn pad and nothing!! Well, I found out later, that I really had to press "hard" on the various spots on the horn area.

When I took it in for service this morning, the service writer tried it several times, then tried it on a Focus that was on the showroom floor. She stated that it was "normal" for the car. I politely made a comment that if many things performed the same way, does that make them/it right???

She politely stated that I could call Ford if I wanted to get more information /details about the design/functionality of the horn! Wow, what a way to engage a customer with a new car in for its first service experience...

The thing that concerned me the most, is that I have to make a concerted effort when I want to use the horn on this car. Any other car that I have owned or driven, was not this noticeable to actuate! Any thoughts?

3:) Another new concern is the spacing between the gas pedal, with realtion to the brake pedal and the plastic trim piece that is to the right of the gas pedal. I have been noticing/feeling my shoes getting hung up under the brake pedal or the bottom/forward edge of the plastic on the driver's side of the console. (Men's dress shows that lace up)

My concern is, what happens in the winter months when I wear boots that are much "clunkier" and larger than my current shoes...

How ironic, is the fact that Ford purposely "short-changed" the new Focus with minimal floor mat coverage on the driver's side of the car. I guess this was their "attempt" to not have a "Toyota" fiasco with floor mats getting stuck under the pedals and such :)

4:) My hatch spoiler is not properly aligned, so I had that written up too.

Overall, I have been very happy with the car so far. It really helped to get some highway miles on it to and from Michigan!

The one thing that pissed me off, is how the service writer explained to me that nothing would probably happen with MFT until the first of the year. I also mentioned that my BlackBerry Style (O/S 6) would not download the phone book, but will pair via Bluetooth.

Would any of my hardware might need replacement for MFT, even though it had ver. 2.11 factory installed?

SEL Hatch, MFT, leather, moonroof and Sony 10-speaker stereo (that is put to shame compared to the iPod I plugged into my Lincoln MKZ loaner that they provided while my car is in for service! That is how the Sony system should have sounded; with power and not a lot of compression when the volume is increased... My .02$ worth on the audio

Not sure how long they will need/keep the car, I just want to the steering fixed and the other items acknowledged and hopefully fixed.

Once again, thank you for all of your insight!

(New) Red Candy by the way!

·
Registered
251 Posts
good color ...
What we are seeing is that "we" are more techie than the service people ... duh ... some day that will have to change. I did not do MTF for one simple reason ... day after day of microsoft updates on my PC ... if they couldn't get that right first shot ...

Can't believe when I put the computer on down here after 6 months away ... 1400 updates on windows 7. And I don't even know what that little plate in the car means that says powered by microsoft. We would have to plug in daily to keep up to date.

I didn't have the steering problem ... with 1800 mile trip down here ... drove quite well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm sorry but the the search function is here on the forums for a reason. All of these issues have be addressed Ad Nauseam. *rant over*

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
DougC he was merely giving his own thoughts.

I agree however with DougC, that if you had all this information going into the car purchase you should have none of these questions.

Also, this is for Red 2012, you seem to be uneducated on the MFT system, it was not designed by Microsoft, and is only now being looked at by MS with Ford to iron out the big issues left in it's coding by BSquared (the company who built the MFT system).

The Microsoft badge is for the SYNC system in the car, and has generally received nothing but praise save for a few bugs with voice commands. It's comparable to OnStar in its functionality such as emergency alerts/calls/etc.

Honestly, if MFT were designed by Microsoft it would have been better than the current iteration. I haven't had the laundry list of complaints others have had (mostly seen with Navigation equipped cars) Daily updates are better than bugs that go unfixed for months.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Microsoft badge is for the SYNC system in the car, and has generally received nothing but praise save for a few bugs with voice commands. It's comparable to OnStar in its functionality such as emergency alerts/calls/etc.
Have you tried to "update" it with a memory stick yet?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm sorry but the the search function is here on the forums for a reason. All of these issues have be addressed Ad Nauseam. *rant over*
I can't locate the horn blowing difficulties thread you say was addressed. doesn't seem to come up with a straight "Difficult to blow horn 2012" maybe I spelled a word wrong.

I had a similar problem on my wife's mustang in which the service manager walked over to another mustang and said because they both sounded the same that was all it was ... BOTH were defective.

re todd-direct ... Welcome to the forum ... your thoughts are always welcome on the chance that you will hit a spot of gold everyone else up to this date has missed. in 3500 miles I haven't blown the horn once ... will have to see how to do it Tamara.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Search the forum for the steering problems though. There are a couple of threads on it and obviously if this many people are having problems, it is real. I don't have the problem personally but there was a TSB issued in regard to it apparently. Might want to see what your dealer can do. I don't suffer any drift at any speed and am able to casually "one-hand" it at highway speeds with my hand at the bottom of the wheel and only need minimal input.

The only times I have ever had to provide any significant input it is never a case of me fighting against the car but a case of me and the car fighting together against some of our crappy upstate New York roads.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I just came back from the New York side of Niagara Falls yesterday. I drove about 75 miles to get there and I had absolutely no drift. The car was as steady as a rock. I even commented to my passenger that it was so steady that I would never do this with my old car - and I took my hands off the wheel for a moment at 75 mph, it was that straight and true. The car drove spectacularly well. It was comfortable and felt like I was floating on a cloud it was so smooth. I got 38 mpg during the trip. Needless to say I was very happy with the car.

Other then that, the only negative if you even want to call it is the little bugs that happen with MFT from time to time. And they are bugs because I never lose functionality. My latest bug that will probably be fixed when I turn my car on today (they come and go) is that MFT has stopped showing the ID3 tags of my zune's mp3's. The path on the player is there, just not the actual info. Yesterday I had to disconnect my phone and turn it off at the border (to avoid roaming charges) and the popup blurb that says my phone has been disconnected came up and would not go away. Even after an engine restart later. Had to reconnect the phone before it would. Again though, I lost no functionality. Most of the time it will start with indexing the device for 5 minutes followed by building media commands for another 2, even if nothing has changed on the player but like I said, no functionality is lost and it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything differently except displaying those messages.

Oh and the last thing I don't blame on the car itself. It seems when the dealership boys took the plastic off the back seat they didn't actually lock it back into place so when I had to stop hard and fast for a squirrel all my groceries pushed through and rammed me in the back of the seat...lol Good thing I was going slow and not too fast at the time.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hey blackraven, gotta get that "soon" off of your What I Drive (or not, up to you obviously). Question - Was that MPG value calculated by you or the car? Just asking becuase I haven't managed to get higher than 32.1 myself on the car and when I calulate it, it is always close to that range. What kind of driving are you typically doing day-to-day?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey blackraven, gotta get that "soon" off of your What I Drive (or not, up to you obviously). Question - Was that MPG value calculated by you or the car? Just asking becuase I haven't managed to get higher than 32.1 myself on the car and when I calulate it, it is always close to that range. What kind of driving are you typically doing day-to-day?
Oh yeah, forgot about my sig - was calculated by the car. I just made sure to reset the trip computer as we were about to leave. I also kept my speeds pretty constant using cruise control. But the sunroof was popped up and the a/c was on auto and blowing a nice steady stream of air for 69F.

Day to day I drive in the city on long stretches of 3 lane wide boulevards and such with a mix of stop and go and managed about 28 mpg the other day for that.

With my last car I was lucky to get 25 on the highway so this is a revelation...lol

Oh and that's on regular gas too. It's wayyyyy too expensive up here to even think about buying premium.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Have you tried to "update" it with a memory stick yet?
No, the only update I've had the car for was 2.11 and I updated before it was available on USB. Doesn't change any of my points, those being that SYNC and MFT are separate systems and that Microsoft had NOTHING to do with MyFord Touch, only SYNC itself. MFT and SYNC work together, yes, but BSquared built MFT, NOT Microsoft.

If anything, Microsoft now having the reigns to MFT will be the best option, because they build SYNC and will be able to best integrate SYNC into the MFT interface.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I can't locate the horn blowing difficulties thread you say was addressed. doesn't seem to come up with a straight "Difficult to blow horn 2012" maybe I spelled a word wrong.

I had a similar problem on my wife's mustang in which the service manager walked over to another mustang and said because they both sounded the same that was all it was ... BOTH were defective.

re todd-direct ... Welcome to the forum ... your thoughts are always welcome on the chance that you will hit a spot of gold everyone else up to this date has missed. in 3500 miles I haven't blown the horn once ... will have to see how to do it Tamara.
Learn to use the search function. Works the same as database searching and google searching (for those who know how to truly use it) don't search phrases search keywords, it's not rocket science it's a search bar.

I'll also add that just because the horn on this car is harder to press than the horn on your last car doesn't mean that this car is defective in any way. I would hope you guys are smart enough to realize that this IS NOT your old car. It's not impossible to hit the horn, it just takes a little more effort. Ford may have done this on purpose considering we have 4 clusters of buttons on the steering wheel and didn't need to be accidentally hitting the horn if we were going for a button press instead.

Sheesh, some people (read: typical Americans) are just so ignorant, they expect things to be perfectly contoured to their life and their preferences, and can't accept when something isn't EXACTLY how they like it. Get over the fact that this car is different than your old one. If you wanted a car that behaved just like your old one in every way, you should have just kept it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Part #2 of the visit back to pick up my Focus this morning. Spoke with the service manager about the car and he informed me that some things will probably work themselves out. Went to get into my car, plugged in my iPod Touch (8GB model-not full) and waited for the unit to connect with car.

MFT locked up tighter than a drum!!! Before I could get off of the lot. Pressed various onscreen functions to got to different audio sources and NOTHING!

Pulled back in to the service writer's area and left the car running while I got the attention of the service writer from the day before. I politely informed her that MFT was locked up and let her know how this has been happening periodically, since I took delivery in late August.

She stated (again) that there was nothing that could be done until this next update came from Ford! So I let her know, this would not be acceptable, with only having the car less than 2 months...I also stated that possibly, could there be a hardware problem with my car?

I could see that this was not going far anytime soon. So, she asked if I would like to speak with the service manager? Of course I took that option.

Service manager comes out and asked me about the car. I said take a look at it for yourself. I had left the car running, so that another variable was not introduced into the equation. He decided to really ask some questions, more so than the service writer, that really was not interested in getting to the problem that was happening before her very eyes.

He asked what size/capacity did the iPod Touch have (8GB w/approx. 650 tracks exported from my iTunes library)

This is where the barrier fell down. He asked if I have used other devices and pairing through Bluetooth. Primary connection used is the iPod and USB1. Then he asked questions about what happened. I stated that is the same device and cable, that I had in the loaner (2011) MKZ (MyLincoln Touch) that worked flawlessly. It indexed right away and did what is was supposed to do.

As soon as I stated that, he started speaking that it might be the vehicle. I casually mentioned if the interface module (APIM) might need replacement? Hmmmm, that is when he dug in and stated that might be the case. In the meantime, we had a brief conversation about how Ford is in the "technology" business and how this hardware/software probably did not take into consideration ALL of the variables of what customers would use to interface/connect in these new technology-laden vehicles.

The service manager started doing paperwork to keep my car and put me back into the MKZ that I had just returned. So, it looks like I might get some hardware swapped out in the Focus. Amazing that it happened right there at the dealership this morning...Perfect timing I would say!

The take-away that I would really like to state, is how the service writers are in some cases, the first impression that a new customer has and that could be a very important thing. Dealerships should make sure that those first impressions are great impressions. Based upon the experience(s) I had yesterday and this morning, I would have been taking my car to another dealership for service. NOT Good...

Thanks for listening and your respective feedback!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Learn to use the search function.
so ok do an old guy a favor ... find the thread about the horn being hard to blow and list it for me.

Currently wifie and I have 4 fords ... 2012 focus, 2005 freestyle, 2001 taurus, 2000 mustang ... we do have a tendancy to "keep" them.

when I was probably your age i was driving a Jag XK140m and doing things like changing dual carb jets for the winter, pulling six ft long engines out to change flywheels and rebuild OD units. but those were simple mechanical things. I enjoy this forum because I see real kids doing the same kinds of things on the old focus's that I probably would be doing at their age today.

Perhaps I should mention that 35 years ago I was working in a PC store building Southwest Tech 6800 and IMSAI 8800 PCs. you might have to google that to see what i'm talking about.

"attitude" is measured by personal comments unsupported by facts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Part 2 ... keep at it Todd-Direct ... good writing style as well. There are some people out there that don't realize we are under attack by technology. I just spent ~6 hours on the phone and with service people to resolve a simple Comcast cable problem ... almost entirely because their people didn't really understand what to do as we are in the middle of a digital switchover down here. So they are learning at the expense of the customer's time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
3:) Another new concern is the spacing between the gas pedal, with realtion to the brake pedal and the plastic trim piece that is to the right of the gas pedal. I have been noticing/feeling my shoes getting hung up under the brake pedal or the bottom/forward edge of the plastic on the driver's side of the console. (Men's dress shows that lace up)

My concern is, what happens in the winter months when I wear boots that are much "clunkier" and larger than my current shoes...

How ironic, is the fact that Ford purposely "short-changed" the new Focus with minimal floor mat coverage on the driver's side of the car. I guess this was their "attempt" to not have a "Toyota" fiasco with floor mats getting stuck under the pedals and such :)

(New) Red Candy by the way!
I started a thread about this issue, and posted pictures. I completely agree with you. The space is definitley too narrow. Some shoes seem to have this problem, others don't. I am in the exact same situation as you are:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269637&page=3

·
Registered
967 Posts
My latest bug that will probably be fixed when I turn my car on today (they come and go) is that MFT has stopped showing the ID3 tags of my zune's mp3's. The path on the player is there, just not the actual info.
Figured out this wasn't a bug at all. My idiot brother must have hit the screen during our trip yesterday and if you touch the artist and song thats playing, you can cycle between genre, album and then yes, path and filename on the player. So, my only bug seems to continue to be the constant indexing and building media commands message on the bottom left of the screen when nothing is actually happening. I can live with that for now.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
So, my only bug seems to continue to be the constant indexing and building media commands message on the bottom left of the screen when nothing is actually happening. I can live with that for now.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
Ah, the dreaded indexing/BMC! Can you successfully use your voice commands even though the message is still there? I wasn't able to use voice until I got the bloody thing to complete.

·
Registered
967 Posts
No it has to complete, but it only lasts a few minutes. It's seriously not doing anything though that I can tell, not that I've really tried, but I could be wrong - I almost never use them. I don't really see the point other then using it for the phone. All of the songs I want to hear are organized into playlists and I just pick before I drive and randomly skip through.

·
Registered
251 Posts
difficulty blowing horn 2012

2:) Has anyone had any "difficulties" in blowing the horn? the first couple of weeks that I had the car, I had drivers jump into my lane and I pressed on the horn pad and nothing!! Well, I found out later, that I really had to press "hard" on the various spots on the horn area.

She politely stated that I could call Ford if I wanted to get more information /details about the design/functionality of the horn! Wow, what a way to engage a customer with a new car in for its first service experience...

The thing that concerned me the most, is that I have to make a concerted effort when I want to use the horn on this car. Any other car that I have owned or driven, was not this noticeable to actuate! Any thoughts?
!
So ok ... yesterday after driving 3500 miles without needing to blow horn we tested it ... seems to work fine AS LONG as you press it hard with the palm of your hand. duh.... this is not a fingertip activated horn especially if you have a touch of arthritis in your hands. That said however ... it seems to be a ford trademark to require heavy pressure to beep the horn ... this is not first Ford that requires thought to beep the horn and may be due to the air bag taking up space. You would think with all the young kids nowadays texting lightly etc on touch pads that one of the High Tech things like blowing a horn would be less "manual" ... I sent this illustrative palm technique video to my wife so she knows what is invovled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts