Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the tittle says .... provided that the subs are on good amp and correct box size

I want it to pound

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
my opinion...depends on the subs themselves :)

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
for instance I had 2 15's, Rockfords they pounded ok, good amp running them but then I got my JL 12's those hit harder than my 15's...I dunno just depends I guess [confused]

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
that's what I was thinking ...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
if you listen to rock or metal you want 2 10's or 2 12's in a sealed box.

if its rap/hip hop stuff then 2 12's portedbox.

when you port a box the bass seems to get a bit muddy, as in like kick drum wont sound as crisp but when its just a boomy beat it wont really matter.

but SQ>SPL IMO

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
2x10" and the 18"

Run the 10's at 80Hz up to 200-250 Hz and the 18 from 80 Hz and down.

Bass problem solved.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^Anything can be done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1 18 has a little more cone area then 2 12's, but 2 12's will have more motor force and more power handling. you could run double the power to the 2 12's as the 18 and it will be much louder. I would definitely go with 2 12's. fitting a box for an 18 would be very tough as most good 18" subs will require 6-8 cuft of airspace, where as 2 12's will work in 5 cubes or less usually.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Two 12s for any application, especially if you care about the tonal qualities. Generally an 18 will give you noise, the 12s will give you sound.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Two 12s for any application, especially if you care about the tonal qualities. Generally an 18 will give you noise, the 12s will give you sound.
a lot of people say this, especially people who have never personally had an 18" woofer, but it's not always true, an 18 can sound just as good from a sound quality perspective as a smaller woofer. the problem is that most people try to cram them in a box that is too small.

there's actually a few world champion SQ competition cars that use 18" subs, one of them is a honda civic hatchback that uses a single 18"

but in most cases, multiple smaller woofers will be better then one large one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright the opportunity has arisen for me to get rid of my 2 12 sonnys a clarion 350 watt amp and get 2 15 rockford fosgate punchs and a crunch 3000 watt amp. for close to 0 dollars. shud I do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
are they p1, p2,or p3? if they're p1's go for it, just make sure your box is legit. p2's or p3's get a better amp, the only maxxsonics product line I'd trust is the hifonics brand.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
one 12 in a custom ported box. its all bout the air space.. i just saw a system one 12 in in a blazer, the box took up the whole back, and the bass was ridiculous.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^It's all about box design.

1 cheap 12" in the correct box can sound better than 2 expensive 12's in a POS pre-fab box FWIW

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
or you know the 18 or in a good box.... my 2 12s are in a box built to correct spec.. its sealed though -.-

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^There is nothing wrong with a sealed box.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts