Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
'Muricans = gotta go big even when not needed.

Brother pulled a pop up camper with a SAAB 99 years ago, nothing new about matching what you're towing with the tow vehicle. Don't NEED large for a moderate load, don't need much at all for an inconsequential one.

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
You guys are still missing how much faster small engines wear when used towing, I used to rebuild them and the wear is just awful. Tow much of the time and 1/3-1/2 the motor life gone right there. Modern small engines are quite awesome as to power output and even the lesser ones but once they get older they REALLY drop off power wise and mainly in torque as compared to a bigger engine. Same reason as the towing, the rings will be worn from extra load. I would think the same percentage of power loss would transfer to a supercharged engine with higher output. You got big power there but no motor to back that up. That says dead motor quicker than normal under any conditions pretty much out there.

Having a trailer to absorb an impact behind you? I don't think so, in the next milliseconds you will be far more worried about what your rig is gonna do, like jackknife to take you with it. About the same degree of risk there to me either way it seems other than a little bit more chaosian theory applied. You don't get it in the initial impact, rather you get it going off the road. Or ??? Final Destination anyone?

I've been smacked from the back at roughly 20+ mph faster than what I was traveling on freeway, NO WAY would I want a trailer of ANY type with what I had to do in the next 1/2 second. I feel it would take a potentially recoverable situation to one that you would possibly have no chance in. In my case the car essed sideways hard to the right to barely miss an underpass column by inches to then have me get back control of it. Trailer? I don't wanna think about it. I probably wouldn't be here to give you all my mostly optimistic viewpoints...................LOL.

Dad towed for 3 vacations using a Buick 400 cu.in. (330-340 hp.) and a very small handmade mostly wooden one wheel trailer that held tent and camping supplies, I have no true idea of the weight there but it couldn't have been that heavy. Trailer maybe 500 max and load maybe 700 thinking hard about it. I drove that car a lot both ways and no way did I like having the trailer behind that much bigger motor. I felt all the time like a target driving like that. Probably comes from all the motorcycles I used to drive, the constantly being able to outpower literally everything around you tends to make you always want that........BAD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys are still missing how much faster small engines wear when used towing, I used to rebuild them and the wear is just awful. Tow much of the time and 1/3-1/2 the motor life gone right there. Modern small engines are quite awesome as to power output and even the lesser ones but once they get older they REALLY drop off power wise and mainly in torque as compared to a bigger engine. Same reason as the towing, the rings will be worn from extra load. I would think the same percentage of power loss would transfer to a supercharged engine with higher output. You got big power there but no motor to back that up. That says dead motor quicker than normal under any conditions pretty much out there.

Having a trailer to absorb an impact behind you? I don't think so, in the next milliseconds you will be far more worried about what your rig is gonna do, like jackknife to take you with it. About the same degree of risk there to me either way it seems other than a little bit more chaosian theory applied. You don't get it in the initial impact, rather you get it going off the road. Or ??? Final Destination anyone?

I've been smacked from the back at roughly 20+ mph faster than what I was traveling on freeway, NO WAY would I want a trailer of ANY type with what I had to do in the next 1/2 second. I feel it would take a potentially recoverable situation to one that you would possibly have no chance in. In my case the car essed sideways hard to the right to barely miss an underpass column by inches to then have me get back control of it. Trailer? I don't wanna think about it. I probably wouldn't be here to give you all my mostly optimistic viewpoints...................LOL.

Dad towed for 3 vacations using a Buick 400 cu.in. (330-340 hp.) and a very small handmade mostly wooden one wheel trailer that held tent and camping supplies, I have no true idea of the weight there but it couldn't have been that heavy. Trailer maybe 500 max and load maybe 700 thinking hard about it. I drove that car a lot both ways and no way did I like having the trailer behind that much bigger motor. I felt all the time like a target driving like that. Probably comes from all the motorcycles I used to drive, the constantly being able to outpower literally everything around you tends to make you always want that........BAD.
I would expect the rest of the car to fall apart long before the motor goes whether towing or not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
You guys are still missing how much faster small engines wear when used towing, I used to rebuild them and the wear is just awful. Tow much of the time and 1/3-1/2 the motor life gone right there.
This engine needs rebuild maybe in 300k km. If i do towing few times a year total 20000km, so i need another engine when odo says 280000km. I go to ebay and buy another engine 1000€.

Or i got to dealer and buy new F150 80000€, yearly tax ~500€ plus insurance 2000€ and huge fuel consumption (and lots of CO2 emission).

I like to get that F150 but unfortunately not possible at the moment.

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
One engine making it to 300K does not lead to a logical assumption that they all will. While some Ford engines like zetec can go that long well taken care of the norm is no. Take a cruise through the breakers' yards, most are there not due to car itself, rather the owner. The modern PCM has greatly extended engine life but unfortunately it cannot retune owner brains at ALL. The complexity of supercharged engines only makes that equation worse. One either gets that or they don't.

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
So, let's tear up the car..........................since it really doesn't matter.

Brilliant, utterly brilliant.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Don't forget that EeroH is talking kilometers and Finland, personal Pick Up Truck for occasional very light towing is totally silly there compared to not needed here.

Occasional light towing is no worse for longevity than occasional use at full GVWR, both are seldom done in the USA.

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
Tell me how much gray area there is between 'using' and 'tearing up'.

Maybe............none? The reply seems to say they are the same. (shaking head sadly)

You're towing with a motorcycle engine there and a car wrapped around it to boot. On more thinking I doubt seriously many will make that 300K mark. You got 1 liter parts areas (piston skirts/rings most importantly) having to take the load of a 2 liter engine, that's automatic race engine territory anytime you are well on boost. Ever see a 300K race engine? Too many owners that do not fix things on time when codes show and death on a complicated turbo doing that unlike a bigger lesser stressed engine. Go higher up and review what I said PCM can't do.

If one doesn't think then of course it's not a problem.

Luck, and I'll leave you guys alone.

X2 sailor, I have loaded my wagon past GVWR before but only short distances. You can do it but long trips? Why I can't kill my cars, I don't do that. In parts you get to see lots of effects of trailering in all fashions and loads, they pretty much tear up everything doing it, even biggest of the big engines. Working on the motors too way back in the '70s, you saw how they could be dead in less than 100K and hardly any parts reuseable inside motors from all the wear. Once people decide to trailer, the problem is they can't stop themselves. It's more, more, more, because the effect cannot be seen right then.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Yup, distances driven and frequency of use in that manner makes a big difference in extra wear worries, or even if it can do it.

S-10 with a 2.2/stick was my longest used tow vehicle, the heavy loads way exceeded the tow rating but were figured vs. the GCVR before attempted (then bed kept virtually empty).

Mostly short trips with the heavy loads, 15-60 mile one way, but a couple up to 300 one way. Power boat primarily, at ~ 3,500 lbs with the std. max. trailer at 2,000 (electric trlr. brakes used).

In use it just took some sense, drop out of 5th for acceleration and down to 3rd as needed for hills occasionally.

Rusted out at ~145,000, 1 clutch at ~120k, so no idea how long it could have lasted by mileage.

·
Registered
604 Posts

Maybe............none? The reply seems to say they are the same. (shaking head sadly)

You're towing with a motorcycle engine there and a car wrapped around it to boot. On more thinking I doubt seriously many will make that 300K mark. You got 1 liter parts areas (piston skirts/rings most importantly) having to take the load of a 2 liter engine, that's automatic race engine territory anytime you are well on boost. Ever see a 300K race engine? Too many owners that do not fix things on time when codes show and death on a complicated turbo doing that unlike a bigger lesser stressed engine. Go higher up and review what I said PCM can't do.

X2 sailor, I have loaded my wagon past GVWR before but only short distances. You can do it but long trips? Why I can't kill my cars, I don't do that. In parts you get to see lots of effects of trailering in all fashions and loads, they pretty much tear up everything doing it, even biggest of the big engines. Working on the motors too way back in the '70s, you saw how they could be dead in less than 100K and hardly any parts reuseable inside motors from all the wear. Once people decide to trailer, the problem is they can't stop themselves. It's more, more, more, because the effect cannot be seen right then.

What motorcycle did the ford 1.0 3cyl originate from?
The rest of this response is all over the place, can't even figure out where to start answering this.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Another nice thing about using a Focus is hooking up the trailer is super easy! Park on a level surface, leave the parking brake off and grab the car by the hitch to move it back/forward!

Tearing up would be if I were to hook a tow dolly up to it and try to tow another vehicle. That would destroy the car.

Which is different than towing an 800 pound popup, or a 50 pound boat on a 200 pound trailer ...

Yup, distances driven and frequency of use in that manner makes a big difference in extra wear worries, or even if it can do it.

S-10 with a 2.2/stick was my longest used tow vehicle, the heavy loads way exceeded the tow rating but were figured vs. the GCVR before attempted (then bed kept virtually empty).

Mostly short trips with the heavy loads, 15-60 mile one way, but a couple up to 300 one way. Power boat primarily, at ~ 3,500 lbs with the std. max. trailer at 2,000 (electric trlr. brakes used).

In use it just took some sense, drop out of 5th for acceleration and down to 3rd as needed for hills occasionally.

Rusted out at ~145,000, 1 clutch at ~120k, so no idea how long it could have lasted by mileage.
Here in NY I doubt I'll wear out my Focus before it rusts out. It's 5 years old already, it has maybe another 5 before it's ready for the scrap yard.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here in NY I doubt I'll wear out my Focus before it rusts out. It's 5 years old already, it has maybe another 5 before it's ready for the scrap yard.
Noticed that, body unlikely to outlast motor up here.
I would definitely have reservations about towing something with these cars after they get some years on them up here without thoroughly inspecting under the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done it and also installed a Ford Spec Tow Hitch from the dealership. I've only towed small trailers but so far but it works great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just hit 50,000 miles on my 2015 1.0 6M hatch. Towed my 5x8 enclosed trailer over 2,000 miles in the past 2 months and the car is still flawless.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts