Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
6 speed manual.

AFAIK gasoline engine cars has option 6 speed automatic and diesels have 6 speed powershift DCT transmission.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Yes - the Focus is not rated to tow in the US. It is elsewhere.

I use my 2011 to tow a small popup. 830 pounds according to the scale. Camping gear and such. it is only a bit over 1000 pounds. Not really pushing the car at all.

Has anyone had any experience with a 1.0L Focus towing small loads? That would be something the car would need to do if I buy one.

I would think the broad torque curve of the 1.0 and the proper gearing of the 6 speed, I wouldn't have any trouble. Maybe the turbo or engine would get hot from running under boost significantly - but not sure.

Has anyone done this?
Towing & where your going w/ a camp trailer, says I'd be using a Ranger 4x4 or similar truck vs a focus.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
For anything more than campgrounds I have a lifted Jeep with a locking differential, winch and big mud tires. It's going to southern PA next month towing the Popup down.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
For anything more than campgrounds I have a lifted Jeep with a locking differential, winch and big mud tires. It's going to southern PA next month towing the Popup down.
There you go^^^^^beats the Focus for towing. YJ, TJ or JK?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
XJ. It's old (202000 miles) but it's a lot of fun. Had a few TJs and a pile-of-junk JK. No more newer Chrysler products for me!

The focus actually tows the camper way better. It can keep speed on the hills and it actually can stop in a reasonable distance - the Cherokee can fit 13'' wheels over the calipers. Focus has 24'' tires and Jeep has 32'' tires

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just installed a hitch on my 1.0 to tow my 5x8 enclosed aluminum trailer. Just tested it out with about 300 lbs in it. Total is about 1,000 lbs. Just like the 138HP BMW 318ti I used to tow it with, it's like the trailer is barely there. I'll keep an eye on my coolant temp with my Ultra Gauge.

Going to pick up an LS engine tomorrow. Will get some photos and impressions posted later.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tested today climbing out of a river valley and watched the temps on my UltraGauge. I did the same route with and without the trailer in upper 80F temps and with the A/C on.

6th gear is too tall for towing up the big hill, but 5th is just fine for keeping 65 MPH. My BMW was the same. 5th was too tall, but 4th was fine.

Coolant temps were only a few degrees (F) warmer with the trailer. I saw 208F max with the trailer and 203F max without.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tow up to about 1600lbs with mine, and its rated for up to 2750lbs!

Honestly, you hardly notice the 1000-1500lbs.

Euro cars built after mid-13 already have the ancilary electric water-pump installed from the factory, so no worries there.

As for the chap declaring he would never tow with a 4-cyl engine [scratch][joke]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So there's no timing belt driven water pump on the newer ones?

I took my 2011 2.0L on a camping trip this weekend. 200 miles round trip into the adirondacks and got 33 MPG with ~1500 pounds of camper and supplies.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
He's talking about the auxiliary electric pump on the 1.0 ecoboost that can run after engine shut down for cooling (particularly needed for the turbo area, exh. manifold is part of the head).

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
He's talking about the auxiliary electric pump on the 1.0 ecoboost that can run after engine shut down for cooling (particularly needed for the turbo area, exh. manifold is part of the head).

Ooh, yeah. Didn't realize it wasn't originally on all of them.

I tow up to about 1600lbs with mine, and its rated for up to 2750lbs!

Honestly, you hardly notice the 1000-1500lbs.

Euro cars built after mid-13 already have the ancilary electric water-pump installed from the factory, so no worries there.

As for the chap declaring he would never tow with a 4-cyl engine [scratch][joke]
That 2750 is with the 1.0L?

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
I am one who suggests you shouldn't tow with a 4. Go ahead and do it, you'll get away with it often but the engines will wear faster, all smaller ones do when you tow.

I have a 130 hp 2.0 zetec and I would consider someone towing with it to be a highway hazard. I consider it a slug and a target with 3 people in it.

Some people have no idea of what a safety margin is.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Anything that tows is a slug compared to the same without a tow.

Some are slugs even before towing.

Slug of course is relative, there's nothing on the road now that isn't faster than older cars in general.

If you're going to get rammed from behind by an A-hole who is PO'd that you're in the way, I'd rather have a trailer to take the brunt of it.

I've towed close to two tons (3,500+) with a small P/U that has a 2.2 4 cyl., it's a slug but it can keep up with traffic except on some hills. Similar to driving a Big Rig in acceleration/speed/uphill performance (faster than a heavily loaded one).

For acceleration/hills you just have to get used to using the engine, don't lug it down to low RPM as it isn't a diesel truck.

Hazard comes more from a trailer not done right, poor condition, or particularly overloaded/imbalanced. Not balanced correctly is the worst, too little tongue weight for the load and it can fishtail to the point of spinning out the whole combination vehicle.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I found myself slowed down more by the diesel trucks towing fifth wheels than anything limited by my car. Highway was no issue either, even on the hills I didn't have to downshift at all on the highway. The fact that I averaged 33 MPG points to not being hard on the car at all.

We're not talking about something that weighs 5000 pounds, just something that weighs 800 pounds (or less now that I have removed a bunch of stuff) with a few hundred pounds of gear.

I am well aware of proper trailer loading and safety margins. There's a reason I bought an 800 pound camper rather than something huge.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
To OP's question is 1.0L towing would you do it? No I wouldn't, get a vehicle designed to tow from the get go,,,,,,Siverrado, F150, Ram 1500.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts