Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What is the swingout hitch?

If you want to go tow a small popup, go buy an Escape. I've towed with small vehicles (VW Tiguan) and quite frankly it sucks.

Also below is an excellent read on why you need a larger vehicle to tow trailers in North America. Its a long read, it does its best to also explain dynamics of a trailer.

This Is Why You Need A Big Truck To Tow Big Things In America
My Popup weighs 830 pounds according to the sticker, and that was before I removed a bunch of stuff from it. The current '11 Focus I have tows the Popup great! Like it stops quick and has no problem going.

I'm not going to be going faster than 55 anyway. Little 4.80-8 tires are really spinning! Bearings aren't too happy at those speeds!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would prefer the manual over the electric. The electric BMW hitch didn't respond to the fob right away and it took forever to come out.

Thanks for changing videos instead of just adding one...

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is the swingout hitch?

My Popup weighs 830 pounds according to the sticker, and that was before I removed a bunch of stuff from it. The current '11 Focus I have tows the Popup great! Like it stops quick and has no problem going.

I'm not going to be going faster than 55 anyway. Little 4.80-8 tires are really spinning! Bearings aren't too happy at those speeds!
What kind dof pop-up are you towing? Don't remember seeing ones that light or with wheels that small when we shopped for our pop-up. We used to have a Jayco 1007, it served us well but now have a 29 foot travel trailer [:)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting, yes I've seen those out on the road. Always thought that the small tires and wheels were pretty funny. For reference our Jayco 1007 was 2650lbs loaded. Our 200hp tiguan pulled it, but there was a few times that the temp gauge would climb on steep grades. We towed it once with the Mercedes in my signature and the vehicle hardly knew it was back there.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts