Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes - the Focus is not rated to tow in the US. It is elsewhere.

I use my 2011 to tow a small popup. 830 pounds according to the scale. Camping gear and such. it is only a bit over 1000 pounds. Not really pushing the car at all.

Has anyone had any experience with a 1.0L Focus towing small loads? That would be something the car would need to do if I buy one.

I would think the broad torque curve of the 1.0 and the proper gearing of the 6 speed, I wouldn't have any trouble. Maybe the turbo or engine would get hot from running under boost significantly - but not sure.

Has anyone done this?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Won't have anyone with long experience since it's too new, I'd suggest checking the UK/Europe ratings for a good reference. "Caravan" ratings from the UK have been used here for older models as a good estimate of real capacity.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't have anyone with long experience since it's too new, I'd suggest checking the UK/Europe ratings for a good reference. "Caravan" ratings from the UK have been used here for older models as a good estimate of real capacity.
UK ratings on the 1.0L are > 2000 pounds from everything I can tell.

Ford wants me to buy a $60,000 F150 Platinum Lariat with MAX BRO factory brotruck package, but I don't need all of that to tow a small popup.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Sounds like it has the same rating as all MkIII then over there, answers your question on the drive train being capable.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Most small cars in the U.S. got knocked down to a token 1,000 lbs or nothing at all for liability protection of the manufacturer.

Only large work vehicles get sold on the basis of towing capacity.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have been considering adding a tow hitch to my car at some point(to make up for the lousy trunk space and seat folding).
They sell a hitch that fits with no drilling and bolts right up and you can run trailer harness thru a body plug right in the trunk.
The rear sagged bigtime from me putting about 300lbs in the trunk so that is something to consider...
I don't have it handy(I don't have my computer handy) but I'm sure I've seen a euro spec list stating the 1.0 focus sedan 6spd can tow up to 1600lbs with trailer brakes.

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
You can tow anything you want but there are solid reasons why you often shouldn't. Someone talking himself into it as OK means nothing, the vehicle will do what they all do based on physics.

You are towing with basically a motorcycle engine with a 1 liter. Sure, it will seem to have the power to do it but you are definitely killing longterm life of it as that is what towing does. The time to early death goes way shorter the smaller the engine and the longer you do it. The smaller the engine but artificially increased in size by turbo will add to that.

I used to change out longterm towing motors on plenty of trucks and there simply is no way to get away from that physical link, the longer you do it and the more weight you add the shorter the engine life.

I personally NEVER tow with a four cylinder myself. Don't care what the owner manual says, you pay beyond those recommendations. What will sneak up on you will be that the normal slowdown in power from ring wear that shows around 125K-150K miles will show up sooner based on how much towing got done. Often under 100K, I saw some that were like that at 75K. Some were DEAD at 75. The more weight the faster it happens.

They ALL seem to tow fine when new and fresh, that changes over time. Smaller engines the difference is greater and quicker.

My view only, tear yours up as you please............

·
Registered
374 Posts
As long as you are smart about it I don't see how towing a SMALL popup to the campground and back would be too bad. I would avoid hills at all costs though lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been considering adding a tow hitch to my car at some point(to make up for the lousy trunk space and seat folding).
They sell a hitch that fits with no drilling and bolts right up and you can run trailer harness thru a body plug right in the trunk.
The rear sagged bigtime from me putting about 300lbs in the trunk so that is something to consider...
I don't have it handy(I don't have my computer handy) but I'm sure I've seen a euro spec list stating the 1.0 focus sedan 6spd can tow up to 1600lbs with trailer brakes.

Eventually I will be adding airbags to mine to help a bit with squat. Doesn't take much for the control blade suspension to start wearing the tires.

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
Todays' full of bullsh-t world is all about 'empowering the customers' and towing suggestions in owner manuals are all about that. In the '60s and '70s no one thought about doing that as we knew the cost but today? If owner wants to wear the cars out faster than normal that's just fine with Ford, it fits in with the subversive way they do what they can to coerce you into buying new cars faster than really necessary.

The engines/transmissions now last too long, why do you think they make everything else on the cars break repeatedly over and over, and more to the point why do they do nothing to change that? In the earlier years lots of mods were made to address common issues that now they do not touch at all. Again, the reason for that?

THINK.

It could really help you out........................

The towing with too small an engine is more of it. Better for them to fall in with that than to 'lecture' the customer. That would not be good customer service. Excellent brainwashing technique as well, the lemmings love it.

1 liter Focus with an additional 1600 pound towing load?

Nobody said we had to be smart about it. Isn't planet earth wonderful?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'd pick up a used Ranger or if 4 doors are needed an Escape.

Personally I would not tow with even something like a v6 Fusion or Taurus (well pretty much any car). It's not about the pulling it's about the stopping. Not saying some cars can't do it. I just would not.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Honestly its your car and you can do with it what you want. I've seen corvettes with hitches towing boats, jetski's, track trailers etc., what would 1k lbs do really? If no trailer but you had 5 passengers with a trunk full of crap how much does that weigh? 4x170 ish is 680 lbs worth of passengers alone. I doubt half a ton towing would do much.

But like a prior post mentioned, doing such will likely slowly harm the motor, suspension etc.

But you paid for it, do with it what you want ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here all new Focuses are equipped with towing pack (because many owners will add trailer hitch some point). It adds electric water pump, it will need it. Trailer hitch is optional, i have original Ford hitch on my car. Max tow is 1200kg. I have boat and trailer, but it´s winter and i havent yet towed anything.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here all new Focuses are equipped with towing pack (because many owners will add trailer hitch some point). It adds electric water pump, it will need it. Trailer hitch is optional, i have original Ford hitch on my car. Max tow is 1200kg. I have boat and trailer, but it´s winter and i havent yet towed anything.
So the powertrain is more than capable it seems.

Reading about the cracked heads kind of sucks :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want to go tow a small popup, go buy an Escape. I've towed with small vehicles (VW Tiguan) and quite frankly it sucks.

Also below is an excellent read on why you need a larger vehicle to tow trailers in North America. Its a long read, it does its best to also explain dynamics of a trailer.

This Is Why You Need A Big Truck To Tow Big Things In America

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here max tow speed is 80km/h=49mph, max drawbar nose weight is 4%.

"The closer the trailer weight gets to the vehicle weight the slower you will need to drive." My Focus weight ~1400kg, and max legal tow is 1200kg.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You have the hitch that swings out, right? That's a neat option I think.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts