Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So for the past month my car hasn't been warming up (pretty consistent -30c here) and I've been looking around, and can't seem to find much on replacing it. Some of the stuff I've read says you have to replace the whole housing, others say just the thermostat can be can be taken out!
Any help with this is greatly appreciated, cold cars aren't fun to come out to in the morning!
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
652 Posts
Lol I've been driving mine for months like that.. I live in FL so its not to bad but It still gets cold!

Code scanned says "low coolant temp always too low"

I just haven't felt like messing with it honestly. MPGs have really dropped though.

I though it was the thermostat is just stuck open but I wonder if it could be a bad sensor.

CEL comes and goes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
DAVEMC09 - Remove the plastic piece in front of the radiator - near the hood latch -and then you will be able to see the space between the grill and the radiator or airconditioner condenser. Install a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator held in place with some string or wire - and then tie the string or wire to some part of the engine. If the engine temperature gets to high, you can simply cut the string or wire and let the cardboard fall. After installing the cardboard in front of the condenser replace the plastic by the hood latch. This will warm up your car nice and toasty.... Then in the spring you can fix you engine with a new thermostate or what ever it needs ----------- CUE aka Q

·
Registered
378 Posts
DAVEMC09 - Remove the plastic piece in front of the radiator - near the hood latch -and then you will be able to see the space between the grill and the radiator or airconditioner condenser. Install a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator held in place with some string or wire - and then tie the string or wire to some part of the engine. If the engine temperature gets to high, you can simply cut the string or wire and let the cardboard fall. After installing the cardboard in front of the condenser replace the plastic by the hood latch. This will warm up your car nice and toasty.... Then in the spring you can fix you engine with a new thermostate or what ever it needs ----------- CUE aka Q
[screwy]

Thermostats do NOT take that long to replace... You can R&R the housing and replace just the T-stat unless your housing is damaged.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already have cardboard in the front, and it helps, but it would be nice to have consistent heat,
I know a thermostat is easy to do, wouldn't be my first one, and working in the cold is no problem as I work in construction and it's always cold, and 4-5 more months before it really starts warming up is too long!

So on this engine you can't just pull the thermostat, you have to pull the whole housing, and go from there based on it's condition?

Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat, best place for repair questions & you can find other threads on doing this here.

IIRC for yours it's sold as an assy., and you need to double check which style is on your car. Same have provision for a sensor & others don't have one there.

At least three methods posted so far on how to replace, partially depends on how small/nimble your hands are (grin).

Pulling the whole intake gives the best access, but involves moving the most parts. Some mention moving the A/C compressor (without disconnecting lines), and maybe removing headlight for easier reach - apparently a lot of options for getting to it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
[screwy]

Thermostats do NOT take that long to replace... You can R&R the housing and replace just the T-stat unless your housing is damaged.
Have you replaced one on a 08-11 focus? [screwy]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, it is not an easy process to take the thermostat out of an 08-11 Focus. To answer the original posters question about the thermostat, it is sold as an assembly with housing.

--CDM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dave I have posted some of the procedures for a 2006 ZX4. Please see my recent post on general tech chat. It might clear up some of installation procedure concerns. I have similar questions as you. Want to understand FULL procedure prior to jumping into it. My guess is its very similar. As there is only 2-3 years difference. But knowing and guessing are 2 different things.

HEre is what I shared. If anyone can clarify some questions I have it might help Dave as well. Please The bottom part of the post is what have found so far. Could it be relevant sure it could as it Explains things a little more in depth to me. But like most procedures we all are here to learn either how to or what to do or not do. There is 2 steps im not clear about myself. Once Those 2 steps are explained a little clearer to me then I can move onto TORQ and Wrench sizes which Id happily share. Sure there is are countless examples on here of excellent references of information for people to use. BUT, Everything can be improved upon including how we obtain information and give it. Go figure hey...

Im learning how to be a more effective repair person while trying to help others. That's my goal here Everyone.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524609&highlight=

Thanks,

Somethin2

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Added to your linked thread, hope it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So what is the cure for a po128 code? Is there a hotter thermostat available? I have tried 2 different stats including a genuine motorcraft and still get this code!! Does anyone know the real answer?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Real Answer" depends on what your real problem is, that is what needs to be determined & fixed.

Simple listing doesn;t give much info:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/59286-dtc-codes-detailed-descriptions.html

Not getting up to temp. is the most common reason for the code, but that can be actual or a sensor result. Need to check temps reported vs. reality to get a better handle on it.

Self diagnostic mode can give you actual temp reported info.:Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Low temperature heater output

1 - 13 of 13 Posts