Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I put a set of VLEDS 45w led headlight bulbs on my focus a little while ago, and there has been as light, but noticeable flicker in my lights.
Mine is a canadian version with day time running lights if that info helps at all, but it flickers even on the low and high beams.
I've been looking around and haven't found anything yet, but would a capacitor help with this?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
652 Posts
Have you measured your voltage? Is it consistent flickering or just when you turn the AC on or radio up?

A headlight relay harness would always be a good investment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't checked the voltage yet, will do that tonight when I'm off work!
Now I've always heard that you should get a relay harness for just about any aftermarket lights you out in your car, but what exactly does it do?
And what kind should I get?

And no, not any worse with radio, Ac, rad fan, etc. it seems to be a pretty steady flicker

·
Registered
652 Posts
Haven't checked the voltage yet, will do that tonight when I'm off work!
Now I've always heard that you should get a relay harness for just about any aftermarket lights you out in your car, but what exactly does it do?
And what kind should I get?

And no, not any worse with radio, Ac, rad fan, etc. it seems to be a pretty steady flicker
A relay harness will pull power directly from your battery instead of routing from your battery to your headlight switch then back to your headlight bulbs. They also use bigger gauge wiring for less voltage drop.

TRS doesn't sell relay kits without HID ballast inputs so ebay would probably be your best bet for a 9007 kit. I have a HID projector retrofit so I run H1 relay kit from TRS.

Capacitor links might be the cure. But a relay harness sure wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh I see, sounds to me like this is exactly what I need, since the DRL on the focus just drops the voltage on the low beam!
But wouldn't I need a H13 harness?
Thanks you very much!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ahh I see, sounds to me like this is exactly what I need, since the DRL on the focus just drops the voltage on the low beam!
But wouldn't I need a H13 harness?
Thanks you very much!
I forgot about the CA focus having DRLs. I really have no idea how the DRLs work on the focus. Just low beam on 24/7?

I guess it is an H13. For some reason I thought it was a 9007.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the low beam comes on low voltage as soon as it's out of park, nothing will turn it off, going to the dealer next week to see if they can turn it off.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah, the low beam comes on low voltage as soon as it's out of park, nothing will turn it off, going to the dealer next week to see if they can turn it off.
Turn your DRLs off? It's illegal to not have DRLs in Canada. Disabling the DRLs would be a good way to get pulled over.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set of led drls that come on with my ignition, so no problem there, even talk to the MTO (ministry of transportation,) and they said that it was fine, as long as you have lights on the front of your car, that come on without driver intervention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts