Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the slant of the engine on my 09 focus ses 140k mile is why it vibrates. The previous owner is a good friend and he has replaced the engine mounts at least once. I already have a second set of mounts (not installed) and it's not ticking or making odd noises. Is this fairly common or should I do a crank case clean with seafoam (always has worked for me) and after treat the oil with engine honey? The oil in it is clean but I'm still a little worried. Not that I'm not never worried when I pick up a new vehicle. Just wondering it's a common thing. Either way I'm still gonna do the other stuff. I just wanna know

·
Registered
227 Posts
Would lean towards the motor mounts, especially the passenger side mount but all 3 can go bad. When were they last replaced? And what exactly is engine honey?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stp oil treatment. It has the consistency of honey. It makes the oil stick together a little bit better. I have had amazing luck with it. The mounts were replaced 5 ish years ago but they replaced them with non OEM anchor mounts and that bothers me. Another new set of anchor mounts came with the car so I'm going to throw them in but honestly as soon as I have some cash scraped up I'm getting some new OEM ones. Until then I'm gonna put the crappy ones on and get the engine running super smooth. I think the OEM ones are hydraulic? The anchor ones I believe are just rubber

·
Registered
227 Posts
Oh okay it's definitely the mounts then, OEM (at least on the passenger side for sure) are absolutely the best and you're smart to get them as soon as you can.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
The slant has absolutely NOTHING to do with an engine shaking whatsoever.

ALL four cylinders shake in some form or another even running perfectly, it is built into them to do so in the basic four cylinder engine design. Can't get away from it, only treat the problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also check the dogbone mount under the car at the transmission. Mine was wore out and would let the engine rock.

Also the videos that show that you have to take the mount off the transmission you don't have to. Just have to finagle it a little and it will go in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i had like problem, my engine was vibration on low speed when auto don't drive.
Two weeks i try to fixed, i check all prametr about engine, i saw it all from ELM and app for android.

And i found what did it) it was fuel burner

·
w/ my magic bag
29,324 Posts
I was told that the slant of the engine on my 09 focus ses 140k mile is why it vibrates. The previous owner is a good friend and he has replaced the engine mounts at least once. I already have a second set of mounts (not installed) and it's not ticking or making odd noises. Is this fairly common or should I do a crank case clean with seafoam (always has worked for me) and after treat the oil with engine honey? The oil in it is clean but I'm still a little worried. Not that I'm not never worried when I pick up a new vehicle. Just wondering it's a common thing. Either way I'm still gonna do the other stuff. I just wanna know
The slant of the motor is cause the psm.....Why would you use or add anything to the oil as you mentioned its not ticking or making odd noises? If you want to do something pass on those chemicals & get a real oem psm & install it properly.....I don't get why you want to add those chemicals to a good running motor or any motor...Fix it properly to begin w/ vs throwing chemicals at it....btw the d-tech motor is a solid lifter motor. Fix the psm & be done.......pass on all that crap..motor honey, ect......

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
First things first - Don't use oil additives. Ever. Omfg.

Only use genuine Motorcraft hydraulic filled mount for the passenger side. If you use a cheap aftermarket mount it will not last.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been using seafoam in engines for 12 years in the oil directly in the crank case per the instructions with a accurate measuring cup. Honestly the car still probably needs mounts but cleaning the deposits out of my old oil and then switching the car over to full synthetic got rid of 90% of the vibration. The last owner must have not given a flip about keeping the engine clean inside or out. I honestly can't believe how well it works every time. Instead of using the stp stabilizer I tried out a bottle of Lucas oil stuff. Ya I'm going OEM on the mounts. I read up on the anchormounts and they sound straight up grimbly

First things first - Don't use oil additives. Ever. Omfg.

Only use genuine Motorcraft hydraulic filled mount for the passenger side. If you use a cheap aftermarket mount it will not last.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Have you ever given any thoughts to where those 'deposits' go once you have loosened them up? Flinging all around in there they get into bearings and the smaller particles go right through the pump screens to eat the oil pump. Not to mention the extra wear you get with a solvent thinning the oil out. It defies all logic. You WANT deposits to stay in place, NOT migrate.

I used to sell those additives and for my life I cannot understand why people think knocking any deposits loose to float around in the engines can ever be a good thing.

'The last owner must have not given a flip about keeping the engine clean inside or out.'

Some of us know that there is not enough deposit to worry about if you use decent product in the engines, and they run just fine all the way out to max mileage and life with zero 'cleanings' at all.

I sold those additives but I would never use them in anything I drive, I know scams when I see them.

And thinking that cleaning out along with an oil change stops vibration??? Brother you are in for a LOT of repair bills. Already started with all the additives that are simply NOT NEEDED.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I bet the OP has probably never had a issue in his life for the chemicals he's put in the oil. I'm not a old angry man who thinks he knows everything. I have seen additives do some amazing things. I have seen them massively reduce oil burn off, I have seen them remove build up that was causing major running issues with no ill effects. I'm not saying they are miracle and yes some are scams but some do help.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
'I'm not a old angry man who thinks he knows everything.'

I am though. (Actually I do NOT know everything, that is what prevents you from learning more even at old age.)

And hearing the rest I'd have to say there are still some skills to pick up there. For one, if people would simply change the oil with some type of regularity there would be pretty much no deposits to do things wrong anyway.

Amazing things? ANYTHING that cuts deposits that quick will be a SOLVENT and enough to cut HARD deposit loose is WAAAAYY more than enough to cut the oil film strength, you are killing engine life every time you use it. And if cutting hard carbon give a second's thought to what diamonds are made of and where that hard carbon is going to end up. It eats even the exhaust valve seats, by far the hardest parts in an engine.

There may well be a time or place to use something like that OCCASIONALLY and based on need at the time but doing it as a ritual?, hey, the salesmen of those products will tell you the same thing in a dark corner (I used to push them there) but to keep it 'their little secret', they want that money the unlearned pile on over and over.

'I have seen them massively reduce oil burn off...'

Yes, you dump basically glue into the engine after running water thin 'fuel saving' oil for most of the engines' life to wear it out prematurely. Run slightly thicker oil (no extra cost) and NO thicker additives and count the money you saved to get to the same place. I believe the extra end of life running more than makes up for the slight fuel costs incurred running the thicker oil. The engines certainly do not break and they don't smoke either. Using absolutely NONE of that.

Of course, yours and do as you will..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If main names in the auto racing world use seafoam I have no problem using it once after I buy a new vehicle to give it a good chance to recover from the extreme negligence most people inflict on their vehicles. And the *fact* that it cured the vibration is indeed a *fact* not an "I think" I put the seafoam in ran my car and drove it around prior to the oil change and the vibration was nearly gone. It's not something that's just like oh I think I'll go away. As for repair bills? You mean replacement parts. I have been a mechanic since I could walk. And In twelve years I have experienced zero fallout from using seafoam and engine oil viscosity promoters. If it ever happens Ill have such a hard time pulling the engine out probably by hand of this little baby 4 banger
Have you ever given any thoughts to where those 'deposits' go once you have loosened them up? Flinging all around in there they get into bearings and the smaller particles go right through the pump screens to eat the oil pump. Not to mention the extra wear you get with a solvent thinning the oil out. It defies all logic. You WANT deposits to stay in place, NOT migrate.

I used to sell those additives and for my life I cannot understand why people think knocking any deposits loose to float around in the engines can ever be a good thing.

'The last owner must have not given a flip about keeping the engine clean inside or out.'

Some of us know that there is not enough deposit to worry about if you use decent product in the engines, and they run just fine all the way out to max mileage and life with zero 'cleanings' at all.

I sold those additives but I would never use them in anything I drive, I know scams when I see them.

And thinking that cleaning out along with an oil change stops vibration??? Brother you are in for a LOT of repair bills. Already started with all the additives that are simply NOT NEEDED.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's been awhile. I did figure out the engine vibration and the car is still running amazing. I did change out the engine mounts anyway even though I figured out the culprit before replacing them because the mounts had a bit of wear. The vibration was from the harmonic balancer. It was replaced and the car is more or less vibration free.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
So, this from post #16 was wrong.......

'And the *fact* that it cured the vibration is indeed a *fact* not an "I think" I put the seafoam in ran my car and drove it around prior to the oil change and the vibration was nearly gone.'

........and NOT a *fact*.

And EXACTLY what I was talking about higher up.

NOBODY in the auto racing world uses seafoam in race engines; you would get laughed out of the room if you said so. They get paid to say they do even though they don't. All that matters is having the sticker on the car. We did the same thing a couple of times while setting world record in pro stock. You apply sticker, run the car, get paid.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,324 Posts
Might as well use rislone or similar if your pouring seafoam down the crankcase....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts