Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Nightshade

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I picked up a spare taillight to play with. I want to black out the chrome like I did in my headlights.

One thing I learned, you ain't getting into that taillight! At least not without cutting or something. The lip on the lens that joins into the case is very thin, even after baking to the point the material itself was softening any amount of prying on the lens would just break the lip.

So here's the stock the taillight.

And here's the problem. It's just damn thin!!

So if I can't get inside, I'll have to deal with it from the outside. Time for the Nightshade paint.

What do you think. Too Dark, not dark enough, just right. I didn't get around to clear-coating this. I will on my actual taillights.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
much improvement! =) id stick with that. looks great

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looks allot better now! Now if they could just make a new rear bumper that has some meat on it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
not bad, i think you should cover the reverse light part as well, light can still get through enough show your backing up, plus since its a practice light if it is too dark you can just sand it away and do it over

·
Registered
130 Posts
it looks good, are you going for the look like on the 09's? Cuz mine have the chrome blacked out. If so you could just keep an eye out for an 09 coupe's taillight. But, what ya did doesn't look any different then the factory ones on mine, good job.(they might be a little darker, which im jealous of).

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well hell, I didn't know the 09's were already blacked out. Damn Ford - always copying me. Looked at the pic of yours and yep, that's what I want. Guess I could save myself some work and just go buy an 09'. j/k

The rear bumper - yeah now that's a whole other story - there are finally a couple of options out there for the 08', I'm looking hard at 3D Carbon full kit. It's the only one I've seen that's urethane and not fiberglass.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Right on man. Your an inspiration as making my blue focus more aggressive is definitely on my list of things to do. If the '09 lights are indeed blacked out and will fit I may try and get my hands on some.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
go with the 09 lights
I can't imagine those are available after-market yet and I've never seen them on Ebay (I'll check again though). I'm sure Ford would want a small fortune for each one, but I will check - maybe they'll surprise me (yeah right).

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
you cant get the lenses apart?
No, even after heating in the oven the lens piece the seals into the case is so thin it just breaks under any pressure.

heres the site for 3d carbon, pure sweetness
http://www.3dcarbon.com
think the 09 kit will fit on the 08? i have a 08 vista blue coupe s
Yep, I've seen this kit and am seriously considering it. Mike at Hilbish swears by their quality and fit.

We had a work party at my house yesterday and nite-shade was very popular. We did two sets of taillights along with their 3rd brake light and even a chrome barbed wire license plate frame. Everything looked great.

After doing these other two sets of taillights I'm seriously considering just nite-shading the entire taillight and even if I don't do the whole thing I will extend the nite-shade to cover the backup light also.

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
what you did looks great.. but too bad you can't get those apart and paint the chrome black. i think that would have looked great and i would have liked to see it.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, so after having a work party at my house this weekend, where one of the favorite mods was nite-shade, I decided to nite-shade the entire taillight. Nite-Shade works as advertised, you can black out the entire taillight yet when you turn on your lights it almost as if there wasn't any nite-shade on to begin with.

It's even hard to get a good pic of a nite-shaded taillight because the light reflects back out of the taillight. The actual taillight looks darker in person.

And here's how you even remain legal with nite-shade. I don't know about your state, but our state requires a reflector on the rear so other cars can see yours. Well, this picture, with the flash on, shows how the reflector is still doing it's job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts