Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received and installed my F2USA short shifter in my 08' Sedan today. [wrenchin]

The install was straight forward with no issues. The only modification to be made was to the boot, and that was a simple modification.

Does it work? Yes! This is not simply a shorter stick, the shift pattern is much tighter now. Try this with the stock stick, put the stick in neutral with your hand resting comfortably on the shift knob. Now plant your elbow on the center console and try going through the shift pattern without moving your elbow. I'm betting you can't do it. With the F2USA short shifter I can go through the entire gear pattern without my elbow moving at all. Just a flick of the wrist.

The included instructions where good and got me through it, but I wrote these to make is as straight forward as possible for 08' owners.

ITEM: F2USA Short Shifter can be located HERE.

DO NOT confuse these with the Focus Short Shifters available on Ebay which I have confirmed through F2 are knockoffs, probably from China. Other FF members have reported quality issues with these. If you want quality buy U.S.A. [race]

The shifter as pictured on there web-site is not exactly what you will receive. See picture below, the pieces in RED are not included.

COST: $97.17 shipped

Tools Required:
Phillips screw driver
d-ring pliers helpful but not required
long nose pliers
hex key set

Time Required: 1 - 2 hours for install, 3 - 4 hours to write it up [wave]

Instructions:

remove center console top trim piece, to do so;

1. Lift the park brake lever upward. (as high as possible)
2. Place the vehicle in NEUTRAL.
3. Unscrew and remove the gearshift knob.
4. Lift the floor console storage compartment door.
5. Remove the floor console finish panel by;
  • Lifting upward on the rear of the floor console finish panel to release the floor console finish panel clips.
  • If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector.
  • Slide the park brake lever boot and the floor console finish panel over the park brake lever.
Next;

Remove the two shifter cables by gently prying them off of their posts.

The shifter cables are shown below

Remove the four Phillips screws from the shifter base

Remove the shifter and base, leaving all other stock parts in place.

It's easier to replace the stock bushings with those included with the kit now, then when they bring it up in their instructions.

The new blue pieces are shown in this picture. (the top right one is hiding)

Do so by;
1. remove the four nuts located around the entire shifter base.
2. remove the metal bushing located under those nuts
3. remove the rubber grommets (a solid grip with needle nose pliers and a slow and steady pull will get them out of there).
4. install the four new pieces included in the kit, the smaller side goes down.
5. re-install the nuts.

Remove the shifter cable arm on the stock shifter to allow you to remove the shifter base.

Remove the shifter cable arm on the F2 (D-ring and set screw)
Place the base on that. (pay attention and get it right side up)
Replace the shifter cable arm on the F2, there is a clear indent in the arm for the set screw so the arm will be correctly positioned (don't forget to replace the D-ring).

Remove the "C" collar from the bottom of the old shifter, that's the piece covered in white grease at the very bottom of the stock shifter.
Place this collar on the F2 positioned so that the flat spot will be facing the front of the car when installed.

Install the F2 in your car. Ensure the the arm with the nylon bushing is inserted into the shift linkage on the drivers side. The RED circle below is the shift linkage. Note: The shift cable bracket on the right side has a metal tab sticking down, (YELLOW circle) that should be positioned between the two white pieces located there. Be gentle you can push those white pieces out of position.

Re-install the shifter base

Check for proper shifting, including reverse.

If everything is fine, continue - if not check for errors, correct and re-check shifting.

When all is well in Focus land re-install the console top trim. Start from the front and work your way back. Make sure all tabs on the trim are inside the console. I did one side at a time and it worked great.

Now all that's left is to modify the shifter boot. Very simple.

Turn the boot inside out and trim as pictured below.

BEFORE

AFTER I left one inch of the original tube, you can trim it flush if you need to

Install the boot and shift knob and you're done.

Here's my completed installation.

And here's your new short shifter in action[driving]

If I missed something or can clarify anything, please do not hesitate to let me know.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice brad looks good, did you get that blue carbonfiber pannels aftermarket or OEM?
Thanks, and that's an aftermarket dash overlay kit. You can read about it HERE if you're interested.

Brad

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking for an excuse to drive to the store right now!! Oh wait, the light bulb in the refrigerator is burned out. I'll be back in 20 minutes !! [driving]

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
good write up brad. there was a lot of concern that this was just a shorter shift arm, not an actual sts. way to prove us wrong lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
damn now that ive seen it installed im gonna order it right now. nice writeup brad

·
br/o/stang
5,565 Posts
Great write-up!

for anyone whos interested, F2 shifter = ebay. Go there and save some money, hopefully the quality is better now because before it seemed to be hit or miss.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
nice write up. I just ordered mine and I don't even have an 08, Damn Brad your that good, to make me wanna buy something that I don't need, can't afford, and even w/ the write up will prolly screw something up.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much lower did it drop the knob?
Sure, something I didn't measure. OK 08' owners someone get out there tape measure and tell me how tall the stock shifter is (from the top of the boot on the side of the console, to the top of the shift knob).

Mine now measures 4 1/2 inches, but my shift knob is 1 1/2" shorter than stock to begin with.

OK Ninga, we left you wide open for comments with all the knob talk. Hell I was afraid to type knob without "shift" in front of it. [hihi]

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
one question for you. How hard would it have been to remove the reverse lockout? I took mine off of my stock shifter, so now i dont wanna go back to having it again if i get one of these

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"How hard would it have been to remove the reverse lockout?"

Well, the 08' doesn't have a reverse lockout so I'm not sure how to answer that.

The picture on their web-site shows the shifter with the reverse lockout gear attached, but those parts were not on the shifter I received.

The second picture is a good shot of what I did receive. The only thing on the shaft is the new cable attachment block.

The 5th picture shows the stock shifter, that's it - that's the entire stock shaft with all it's parts (one) attached.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
and buick boy. ebay=f2=zxtuner, lol. its the same kit i got, minus those two parts. thats funny. but great write up man.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
also it's kool to say you have an F2 sts than to say...."I got it off e-bay." And all this talk about knobs is making me hungry...and I don't know why. Is that strange? and it could be the same kit but im sure that f2 isn't buying them off e-bay to sell them to us. It's a matter of quallity more than pirce in my book...... I don't know why I even have a book I can't read any ways...I'm bolimic.lol.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I am really wondering if F2 just bought a bunch of those off of ebay and sell them as there own? It looks identical to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short-Throw-Shifter-Ford-Focus-02-03-04-05-06-04-12-02_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQihZ008QQitemZ180285501898QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Hell yes, that does look like the same shifter. My only concern would be the shift linkage arm, as long is it's the correct length, you just found the same shifter for 1/2 of what I paid for it. [bawling] Live and learn [;)]

Plus the Ebay site says "no instructions", while I've taken care of that now haven't I. [:D]

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
also it's kool to say you have an F2 sts than to say...."I got it off e-bay." And all this talk about knobs is making me hungry...and I don't know why. Is that strange? and it could be the same kit but im sure that f2 isn't buying them off e-bay to sell them to us. It's a matter of quallity more than pirce in my book...... I don't know why I even have a book I can't read any ways...I'm bolimic.lol.
I'm tempted to order one from Ebay just to see how the quality does compare. Is that rust I see on the threads in the Ebay pic?

I compared the pic on Ebay to the pic on F2 and they are "almost" identical. There is a difference in how the reverse lockout is connected as well as the position of the shift cable block. But other than that, and possibly quality, they do appear to be very very close to each other.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
* Taking foot out of mouth * I stan corrected, but I'm still hungry.
Put that foot back were it belongs [:D]. I also doubt that F2 is selling the same thing. I'm going to send that link to F2 and ask for an explanation or the difference in price back from them. This should be fun.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts