Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, my buddy has a 2008 Focus SES with the PZEV motor and has recently thrown a P115E code which is suspected to be because of the 'lifetime' airbox.

I am looking to avoid the sai/cai aftermarket air filters and would like to find something like the dorman 258-519 replacement airbox that uses paper filters (unfortunately only for 05-07 focii).

Does anyone have experience with replacing the airbox on one of these engines with something preferable (maybe from the non pzev engines), or should we just go with the OEM replacement and expect another service in 60k mi?

This is a dailydriver of a non 'car-guy' looking to retain resale value therefore I'm looking for something that looks and drives OEM but with the convenience of typical paper filter replacement

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Had to look that code up for you, check out the first reference found:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjn3e3B8LbRAhVMNSYKHdDrAfMQFggjMAA&url=https://www.autocodes.com/p115e_ford.html&usg=AFQjCNEc1AvtZzdsxoQdMM9i0Cl7DbxeZA&sig2=iLd55rFfh5jWfiZMQorr8w

It's a Ford Code for idle trim limit reached.

The electronic TB adjusts idle RPM, replacing separate IAC as used on the mechanical TB cars. Like some other items, there appears to be a set limit before a code results, and anything that affects that can set the code.

This source suggests buildup in the TB as an issue reducing air flow, with cleaning the TB the answer.

PZEV air cleaner will NOT be the answer, and it has it's own mechanical restriction gauge you can check to see if it's OK.

General Tech Chat might be better for questions on the Code, this section is mostly for Performance Mods questions like the aftermarket intake mentioned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response. Will look into throttle body cleaning before the more hefty airbox replacement.

Sorry for posting in the wrong sub-forum

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had over 165000 miles on my 06 life time air filter and the gauge was still in the green. If yours has the gauge it is red yellow and green mounted to air box.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The 05-07 Dorman airbox will fit a 2008-11 just fine. I was about to do the same however I ended up finding a non-PZEV factory airbox at the junkyard. Cost me about $10 for the airbox and then $20 for a new filter. That's the route I would recommend taking personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is a non PZEV intake a direct bolt On? No need to modify anything or need a certain bracket? Looking into getting a serviceable air filter because a “lifetime” filter just seems weird for me at 90k miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So is a non PZEV intake a direct bolt On? No need to modify anything or need a certain bracket? Looking into getting a serviceable air filter because a “lifetime” filter just seems weird for me at 90k miles.
Im at 217k miles on my 'life time' filter and still get 33+MPG daily. I have no plans to change it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My car is a pzev, and it has a standard airbox instead of the lifetime filter. So I wouldn't worry about modifying anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now at 231K miles and still banging 33+ MPG. Still no plans to change it.
So I need to eat crow a little bit here. As summer has rolled in here in Texas and things started heating up, I noticed with the AC on the car was downshifting more than normal.

I started thinking about it and my logic was if the lifetime filter was restricting air, the computer was pulling fuel thus causing a downshift as you tried to give it more peddle.

Anyways, I've always looked on an off for a non PZEV air filter but couldn't find one. Well 2 weeks ago I was looking and found some guy on CL that had a 2010 brand new take off air box (he went cold air). He was moving and wanted it go. 20 dollars later (air filter and all) I had a non PZEV air box to install.

The install was easy and I used the stock PZEV instake boot as the non PZEV boot was ripped. I did have to 'stretch'it to make it work but its a non issue.

After 2 weeks of normal day to day driving, Im happy to report the car is running great and fuel mileage is up 1.5 to 2.0 MPG with the AC on. Mind you I live in flat country and wouldnt expect the same results in the mountains. The car is also back to not downshifting when the AC is on when running down the highway and hitting rolling hills.

At 235K miles, this car owes me nothing. Its been stone cold reliable and I plan to keep driving it until it requires a repair that costs more then the value of the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts