Focus Fanatics Forum banner

08+ Returnless Fuel System

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  wedge905 
#1 ·
I'm curious to know how in the world the 08+ fuel system works. There is no fuel rail pressure sensor on the 08+. I thought that sensor was the heart of the returnless fuel system. The sensor allows the ECU to calculate the pressure drop across the injectors, correct? So, if that sensor is not there, how is the ECU calculate the pressure drop across the injectors?

#2 ·
Interesting ...

Here is what I found for the 2007 and older Duratec:

Verified by a pic of a 2005 Focus Duratec engine:

The 2008+ does not have the sensor, as you said:

Verified:

My thought right now is the sensor was simply moved. I notice the newer cars have an added heatshield on the firewall. Maybe it's back there?

It is possible that they don't have one at all. If you know the duty cycle and flow of the pump as well as the injector duty cycle and flow you can figure out the theoretical fuel rail pressure. The older ECU's did this already. Maybe Ford engineers got enough data they where able to build a flow/pressure map that was perfect, nixing the need for the sensor. But having a redundancy in the system would of been a good idea IMO.

#4 ·
I believe the filters are inside the fuel pump and it is a lifetime filter. the fuel was always filtered twiced anyway going through the sock on the fuel pump then the filter outside the fuel tank.

#5 ·
There is no sensor to measure the psi drop across Inj its basicly all dont in the fuel pump assy and they carry much higher fuel psi 56-58 psi

I have never had the chance to have a fuel pump assy out to look it over but guessing there is an inline psi regulator built in

Correct the filter is the sock filter on the fuel pump , kinda silly to have 2 filters

Tom

#8 ·
I was never able to 100% find a fuel sensor that is common among the old Foci. From what I understand, the ECU is commanding the fuel pump how much fuel is required for the engine given a certain load. Hence the reason for no PID in Livelink.

To get around this I installed a AEM fuel pressure gauge. The gauge has an analog out. You can add an equation to Livelink to then log you fuel pressure.

#9 ·
I ended up removing the tank (not very difficult - easier than cutting a hole in the floor!) and removing the fuel pump module and taking it apart. There was no separate sensor in the pump module, just a pump and a fuel level sending unit - no wires for any other sensor. No other sensor in the tank anywhere. So I agree - the ECU must be modulating the voltage to the pump - strange to not have a sensor somewhere for feedback. I could find nothing in the entire system as far as a pressure sensor, besides the EVAC pressure sensor in the vent line from the tank to the fueling inlet. That sensor was bad, and was causing a code (0452 I believe) before I replaced the 3-ended line and sensor assembly.

#10 ·
2009 Focus low power and trans drops out of overdrive

Been having driveability problems-low power and setting code p0171 for lean exhaust.
have changed many parts including the fuel pump - transmission drops out of overdrive and will not shift up unless I clear the code with my data reader. Always has a code for lean exhaust bank 1. Any Ideas , replaced fuel pump, both oxygen sensors and the mass air flow sensor.

#11 ·
Been having driveability problems-low power and setting code p0171 for lean exhaust.
have changed many parts including the fuel pump - transmission drops out of overdrive and will not shift up unless I clear the code with my data reader. Always has a code for lean exhaust bank 1. Any Ideas , replaced fuel pump, both oxygen sensors and the mass air flow sensor.
I would check your bank 1 injector.

I would also start a new thread instead of digging up one from 2011.

#14 ·
I converted my 2004 fuel pump to a 2008 fuel pump. The difference is the newer ones are mechanically regulated by an in-tank fpr. Hence there is no need for the pressure sensor in the rail.
The 08's do have a pressure sensor somewhere, but I never found it. It's not used for controlling the pump at all anyway. At most it's used to fine tune injection times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.