Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well took the single small stripe off , and did the headlight bezel blackout. followed the 20 min at 300 deg. procedure . used the same semi gloss engine enamel with the bezels . came out great . looks 10x meaner in the front. next is the steeda focus stripe.

i call this operation:blackout lmao.

if anyone needs tips or help ,like always let me know [cheers]

before

during

after

·
Registered
179 Posts
very nice! looks so much better![thumb] iam in the process of doing my machs on my svt but iam just removing the chrome with bleach and its leaving a smooth/shiny black plastic!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mas bueno

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet ! yeah 8 bucks in materials i used it alot better than spending 200+ on aftermarket plus i can add some leds in the housing later =) . i just sanded the chrome off with 1200 grill came out great.post pics when ya can man i have a zx3 2.3 also id like to see what they look like .

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
MUCH BETTER!!! on both cars!

·
Registered
508 Posts
totally loving what you have done with this grill!!!!
CHA CHING!

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Much better, i got the paint, now i need to do mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks fellas some tips though.

when you pull the headlight out of the oven and pull it apart let the lens (clear lens,chrome bezel and orange reflector) cool down first because if you pull the orange reflector off while its hot as soon as you pull it off it looked warped and mishaped.so be patient let it sit so it can cool and keep its shape .i learned the hard way my passenger side has a slight warped looked. ! also if u have a small oven and its somewhat of a tight fit id suggest going with 290 deg. mines somewhat small and 300 gave a me a little bit of crows feet. cant see it during the day whatsoever just when you have your lights on and even then it doesnt look bad. just a heads up guys.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
What did you use to seal the headlights back up?
I am getting the itch to do mine, but don't want to screw something up.
Also I got Gloss black not Semi Gloss, it that going to make a bid difference?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
black rtv silicone.

and dont be discouraged i was at first trust me but its worth it lol.

like i said do this : and it will come out great,

pull headlights out , pull bulbs out. tape bulb holes so the heat doesnt get trapped in the headlight. preheat oven to 290 degrees. take a baking sheet or large pan and wrap twice with tin foil . set the headlight on the pan and make sure the lens part is facing up and not touching any part of the pan ,sides or top of oven. let it sit in the oven for 20 min . within those 20 min id put on a sweatshirt or long sleeves and some gloves so the heat from the headlight doesnt burn you, i felt the heat through my mechanics gloves. when you take it out set a towel on your lap then the headlight, take a flat head and slowly pry open , comes open pretty easy.like i said in a early post after you have the lens and housing apart let the lens(bezel and reflector) sit to cool so they dont mis shape. then begin to take the torqe bolts off the bezel then the reflector and small lens on the inside. its very easy to sand the chrome off the bezel so it wont take long.

and as for the paint is it engine enamel or normal paint?

remember to clean off old sealent from housing.

lol my book is written.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Its duplicolor engine enamel.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah thats what i used , but with gloss you might wanna do a couple light coats then 2 heavy coats to get it nice n even or it might come out with orange peel. thats what i liked about the semi gloss is because it levels out nice with 1 light and 2 heavy coats looks nice . im sure the gloss will be fine but just make sure u use soap n water or the gloss with bring out pin holes in the paint.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
great, thanks
If i find some time this weekend I'll give it a go.

you should also try and meet up with us sometime, we have a meet this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts