Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help I have a 2008 focus with a five speed transmission. I was driving home last night and lost 2,4, and reverse. I removed the battery and trans mount to find the shift linkage hitting the motor mount on the trans. Is there a fix or do I need to replace it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Doubt the trans is shot, but you need to dig in a little more to describe (identify) the problem better.

Could be a shift cable adjustment/mounting issue where you're getting full throw plus in one direction and not enough in the other - the most likely fault at first guess.

Not loosing all the gears argues against another relatively easy fix, when it doesn't work either way there's a pin in the removable shift mechanism that sometimes gets broken.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the interior apart to verify I was making full throw in both directions. It is as I thought when I put it in 1,3,5 it is almost hitting the top of the shift tower and I can get it into 2,4,R if I pop the linkage apart and pull the cable about a half inch past the furthest point the shifter goes.

So in short it is barley going into 1,3,5 and won't go into 2,4,R with the linkage hooked up.

I found this video it showes exactly what mine is doing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu6nR-xV0XA

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cable trouble usually occurs at the transmission end, because that is where the adjusters are. Inside needs checking of course, but it looks like you found that end OK.

Here's a good thread that shows adjustment/checking as well as the "shift tower pin" problem that can result in not shifting either way:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304574&highlight=shift+tower

Pulled it up for the good descriptions/pics.

You can get away with an assistant to hold in neutral for adjustment, the tool for that isn't absolutely necessary.

I'm betting on the cable for front to back throws coming loose, either at adjuster or holder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!!! Thank you so much. I over reacted and bought a junkyard trans today. Put the car on jack stands and started ripping into things. I decided to eat dinner in the middle of it all and read the much needed post. I stopped eating ran to the garage tore the motor mount out and the shift tower up and out. I had no idea the roll pin everyone was talking about was in the trans. There it was the roll pin was missing. I now get to spend time with my family this weekend instead of replacing a transmission.

P.S. The junkyard trans will be returned thanks to your help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for posting the outcome, I'm surprised it shifted at all with that gone. Just enough friction to move things a bit I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts