Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive been doing paint and body work for over 6 years now and yesterday at the shop me n the boys we re at lunch and there was a bet that i couldnt do a black stripe on my 08 for under 10 bucks in materials. being the perfectionist i am and knowing the skills i have a did it . and please no boys no trolling here i undestand some wouldnt do this but its easy for me to take off as this is what i do for a living so it wasnt a huge deal .

materials:

SEMI gloss black duplicolor spray paint: 5.99

painters thin line tape: 1.99 (painters discount)

newspaper(.50 cents =) )

first i found the raised body lines of the hood and taped off so i could begin wetsanding. i wetsanded with some 1000 grit wet/dry 3m sandpaper i had lying around. (make sure cleatcoat is dull or paint wont stick correctly).

wipe down with soap and water and reapply new tape for sharp lines.

i didnt take too many of "during" .

but here is the final result . after 4 coats of the semi gloss black i waited 4 hours then wetsanded with 2000 and 3000 grit then polished using a buffer and meguires compound and polish. some of the pics may get mixed up but shows you what experience can do [nutkick] lol if i plan on keeping it im gonna black out the grill and extend the stripe down the front bumper .

tried plasti dip....i have no idea how ppl make it come out where it doesnt feel like a fur rug.lmao

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
That looks really nice. Would you ever consider carrying it over the roof and trunk. Just an idea but I think it would look pretty awesome.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i think i might just keep it in front not a fan of it all over really , but thanks guys . and keep in mind i didnt spray this with a gun but a can . [woot]

if any 08 + owners want help or tips let me know

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
just shows its all in the prep! nice work

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
normally I HATE hood stripes or racing stripes.

However it looks nice and well done, good job [thumb]

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
so no clear cloat on top of the black? just the cleanup and polish? I am def interested in trying something like this on mine although a slightly different line. wouldn't mind some help for the prep and finishing.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
That turned out great!!!
I think a thin little pin stripe line would really set it off!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update : did the grill tonight . gonna get the decals for the ford emblem soon .

and yes no clear. dont go with the acrylic enamel rustoleum paint , get duplicolor engine enamel semi gloss, the reason why is because when ppl use spray paint the normal acrylic enamel doesnt withstand typical heat or wear for long, the engine enamel has ceramic in it and is 10x more durable and withstands heat obviously. the way it sets and sprays is alot more forgiving then most other spray can paints.like the guy said its all in the prep . straight lines and a good wetsanding job prepped with soap and water. u want 2 light coats to cover the color, dont worry if its blotchy at first ,the last 2 heavy coats will take care of it.on the 3rd and 4th coat you want to spray to make it "wet". try to make a consistent spray pattern or itll show in the final result.u want 4 coats because after you lightly wetsand with 2000 then 3000 then polish there will be about 2 layers left. anything else u need to knw pm if youd like or ask.

i also usedthat paint on the grill

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Great info, thanks, now i know what to use on my grill/headlights

·
Registered
76 Posts
the hood and grille look great, I think it looks good as is.

If you go down the front of the front bumper, then I would also go over the top, trunk and rear to carry the theme over the entire car.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Again thanks for the info, I just noticed that your "over the Hump" from Vegas, you should check out "Focal Distortion" its a Ford Focus club in Las Vegas. I sure could use another second gen car to hang out with.

And nice work!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea sadly haha , might be movin to vegas within the next few months so i dont have to commute. and when do u guys meet up ? whats the sign up "process" lmao

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
just look up the web site and go from there, register and what not and you can get some local help. my screen name is bobstone2131 over there. we meet all the time, just this last Saturday at the LVMS bullring for the Focus Midget series races.
here is a small picture thread from last weekend.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269775

i am the only 2nd gen in the club, a '10 S sedan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool thanks man yeah ill def look into it , i have a 08 se sedan. not much done other than the paint work ,valve cover and brakes. i need wheels o_O haha. how many members are there ?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
there are about 25 or so members on the site, and probably 15 or so that are active with events/meets.

I have been pushing and or getting aggressive with getting the club going faster and better over the last year or so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well ive had it for a few days and it hasnt grown on me lmao , so im taking it off and making it look like the red n black steeda focus. with the large stripe on the outer hood lines, im gonna be spraying it with a super jet black , 3 coats of chromabase clear and color sand and buff to make it look like glass =D im excited for it , ill be posting pics asap . !

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I want to see that, we gave some pretty cool body lines to play with.
If I was a painter, I would be painting my car every year.
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 22 Posts