Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the community.
I am running into an issue with my 08 focus 2.0, auto trans, 58,000
I am getting a rough idle, rpms fluctuate to wear it seems like it's going to stall or it has a mean misfire while in gear(in park its perfect). It will idle fine for 30-45seconds give or take, then rpms drop a few times and back to normal. It is more so after it reaches operating temp. Will notice a hesitation when at a steady speed and go to accelerate (doesn't want to drop a gear and go unless I lay into the gas).A/c on or off it happens, more exaggerated with it on. I have no pending or active codes.
I have replaced the plugs, fuel filter, air filter.
I have checked for vacuum leaks, compression test is good(180-195), block tested and no combustion gasses present, replaced thermostat.
With the scanner, 02 sensors check fine, temp sensor accurate, watched live data, seems normal.
I am not a certified mechanic, but definitely know my way around vehicles.
But I am stumped.
Is this normal for these 2.0 to have an erratic idle like this? I am at a loss where to go next, besides throwing money away replacing sensors, but with no codes, I wont resort to that.
I saw other posts about this, but nothing followed up with like the situation I'm in

Thanks in advanced, and sorry for the long post, just trying to show what I have tried.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar issue. Cleaning out the throttle body helped a lot. It had tons of carbon buildup. Really smoothed out the idle after that. As for the hesitation to drop gears, after cleaning up the body ground on the strut mount (it's painted) it helped with better shifting. Remember to reset the PCM after all of that

I still have a slight vibration at idle, next thing on my list the PCV. I also have fresh motor mounts which helped a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to re-check the throttle body, it only has 56k on it. When I checked it, it looked great, but maybe cleaning it anyway will help.
I'll also check that ground.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts