Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while I was driving for a few minutes from my friends house my focus decided to start sputtering like it was misfiring then all of a sudden my check engine light comes on. Later in the day my friends tells me he put octane boost in my car without telling me and I want to know the jeist of how bad the damage is. It puffs small amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. It's not overheavint. No milk substance on the oil cap and no air bubble in the radiator fluid..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd start by using an OBDII scanner to read the code that caused your check engine light to turn on. An O'Reilly's / Autozone like store will be able to do that for you. The code should have four alphanumeric characters.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do you know exactly what he put in your tank, and how much, or is he still being a jag bag and won’t tell you?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’d drive it to the auto parts store to get my code(s) read if this happened to me; however, I’d have someone waiting to pick me up from the side of the road just in case.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
That stuff is like snake oil - it doesnt do any good but usually doesnt do any harm either. Are you certain the symptoms you have are directly related to the fuel additive? Get the code(s) read and get back to us.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday I went and bought a scanner and check the code myself p302 and it was the 2nd cylinder misfiring. So was meaning that anything in there like spark plug, coil pack, and or the cylinder itself was misfiring. But after driving to the auto part store I've notice that it has gotten better while driving.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good to hear it’s settling back to normal!!

If it doesn’t continue to increasingly improve, begin troubleshooting your P0302 code by swapping the #2 plug with one of the other plugs. Although probably not the issue, check the plug gap just because it’s convenient and you can easily remove that as a variable.

If no change is noticed after swapping plugs, swap them back and do the same with the #2 coil and another coil.

If neither swapping plugs or coil packs resolves your P0302, I’d then do a compression and leakdown test. We can talk you through those if you’d like help.

Keep us looped in on your quest!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts