Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2008 Ford Focus SES and I'm going to buy a used dash cluster on ebay. Does anyone know if my computer in my car will reprogram it? Or will I have to go to the dealer?
I have a loose connection in the original cluster. Sometimes before it will crank you have to tap on the clear plastic dash. And I mean barely touching the dash. Or touch the wiring that plugs in the cluster. I believe one of the solders broke loose when the car got in a wreck.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's not adding up to me, shifting or clutch position is involved with being able to crank (as well as the key switch of course) but not the inst. cluster.

Different one isn't 'programmed" by the car, mileage recorded in the cluster stays the same whatever car it's mounted in.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Personally, I'd take the gauge cluster out first before buying a new one and see if you can find something broken or simply loose. If it's the entire cluster including the gauges and warning lights that doesn't work, most likely it's the plug going into the cluster. It may simply have gotten yanked during crash repairs and needs to be plugged back in or a new plug installed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the cluster out and trying to figure out how to the board off. I think I have a small break on the soldering at the plug in area. Before I unplugged it I wiggled the connection and my dash lights came on (like before you start it). I unplugged all 15 wires and looked at them and crimped them together again. Didn't see anything that was out of the ordinary. 26 spots but 11 not used. I will let you know what I find out.
I know (think) it is plugged in all the way because the clip folds up and locks it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to say I ordered a used plug connector off ebay. I will have to cut wires and solder them back together then I will. If it's not the cluster.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Good. Sounds like your heading in the right direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts