Focus Fanatics Forum banner

08 Color Matched Fender Vents

6K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  BradWhite 
#1 ·
OK, I was bored on Sunday and decided to remove the Nite-Shade from my fender vents and color matched them instead.

Yeah, I think I like that better [clap]

See less See more
#13 ·
I'm using some touch up paint the body shop gave me after painting my body kit. I also have other touch paint I've gotten off the internet. If you have your paint code you shouldn't have any trouble finding it. As the car is new there's no issue with the new paint not matching because of fading.

I haven't looked to see how they come off, do they just unbolt?
They are held on with clips in the rear, behind the fender, as well as an adhesive all the way around the vent. I was lazy and just took a few fasteners out of the fender well cover and reached back there. Well, those snaps break really easy, I know! You'd have full access back there if you took off the wheel and fender well cover. I used a putty knife to gently pry the vent off. I put 'em back on with 3M tape.

#12 ·
Brad, i heart your car. I hope we can have a photoshoot/work party when im out in the seattle area this summer.

#18 ·
When are you going to be here? Wouldn't happen to be around 6/13 when we are having the 2nd Annual "Wild Night Out" G2G at our house, you could win the "longest drive" door prize. I think we're up to something like 35 people coming so far.

But, it doesn't matter when you're in town - you had better stop at our house!

#14 ·
its so funny that you did that because i was just going to message you to see if you took the vents off before niteshading them the first time. I'm gonna buy the vista blue in spray paint these and figure out how im going to finally do the eyelids that ive been putting off for months. how many coats did you put on and did you put on clear after?

#17 ·
how many coats did you put on and did you put on clear after?
I used an airbrush with a large tip installed to lay down 3-4 coats of Vista Blue followed by 3 coats of rattle can clear coat.

You know brad...
Wow, thank you!!

And thanks again to everyone else. [woot]

#15 ·
You know brad, while I think we do not have the same visions for how a car should look, I am always impressed with the ideas you have and your quality work. I'd rep you Brad but sadly I already gave you rep, so that will have to wait.

Anyone who wants to change the appearance of their vehicle and isn't looking to go extreme, should definately look at BradWhite's body of work. Great guy with a ton of easy, DIY projects done to his car that should inspire many of you to take the steps to make your vehicle your own.

#19 ·
freakin agreed, his innovation greatly improved my new shifter knob and was way easier than I thought it would be.

if I had fender vents, they would so be painted, plus this looks better than the nightshading imo, you should color match your mirror caps while your at it. [cheers]

#16 ·
When I went looking for a Focus last summer, there were '08 sedans on the lot. Frankly that was the first time I ever noticed the things. And that strange-looking chrome vent stuck out like a sore thumb.

Great improvement there.......[thumb]

#23 ·
I guess I should mention that I also re-painted the black. I mixed that myself with an opaque black and pearlescent airbrush medium. You can't see it in the pictures but up close and in person there's a nice little sparkle in the black that matches up nicely with the Metallic Vista Blue.

Thanks again for all the nice comments, I can't tell you what it means to me to be complimented on my work. It's you guys/gals that keep me thinking - what next!

1. Make those vents functional
2. Overlay the dash and other interior trim with Carbon Fiber (anyone got any extra money laying around) [rofl]

#26 ·
i just blacked out my chrome grill thanks to you, i went with a flat black though. Next up is the fender vents. For me, using a spray can will be easiest, because thats what i did on the grill and it turned out good. I can only find it from automotivetouchup.com for $20 plus $8 shipped for a 12 oz. can. that is A LOT more than i'm going to need.

Do you know of any alternatives? I don't really want to spend 30 dollars on just painting my vents, when ill need only like 2oz max. will the touch up bottle work or be too much of a pain in the butt?
Any other vista blues wanna split the can or something?

On a side note, Brad did you take the pic of what the holes look like behind the fender vent. Maybe i can just plaster over it and paint over it? or would that be a bad direction to go in?

#27 ·
You could fill in the holes and paint over it (there are 5 holes to fill). Just depends on how good you are with that kinda stuff. I used an airbrush to do mine, so a 2oz bottle was plenty, with lots left over. You just need someway to spray 'em, like buying a 2oz bottle and trying to brush it on - I just don't see that working.

We're having our annual "Focus Wild-Night-Out" get together on June 13th at our house. If you leave now you could make it and I'll spay them for you!! And I guarantee you will win the "traveled farthest" door prize. We're expecting some 40 people at his point. Going to be a blast!!! [driving][driving] [woot] [cheers] [woot] [cheers]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.