Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****COMING THIS SPRING 2017****

I have replaced several evaporators in the 2008-2011 Focus during this summer at work (auto technician) and it seems like it is going to be a common problem with these cars as they age and get higher mileage (70k +). Apparently one of the many Ford cost cutting measures in this generation was making the evaporator weak/thin/failure prone. It starts off as a foul smell from your vents and turns into a/c not working because you lost your charge. It can be confirmed by looking for green dye coming from the drain tube outside of the car. The good news is this isn't that hard of a job to do and you could save yourselves around $600 labor doing it at home. The only thing you would have to do is have a shop recover the leftover Freon before the repair and charge it when your done (assuming you don't have a friend with equipment or alternative "recovery" means).

The evaporator in my 2011 SES with 147k miles is leaking, so this spring I will replace it and document the replacement procedure.

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
'one of the many Ford cost cutting measures'

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.............

I remember when they did it to Tempos too, suddenly heater cores that lasted forever were shelling out left and right and harmonic balancers/crankshft pulleys were the same way. Rock solid part, then they turn it into short-lived junk.

Half the plastics used on Contours (polystyrene molded parts used on dash pieces that hold switches?..............COM'ON NOW, get real!) either melted into misshapen lumps or turned into dust, they crumble to the touch.

You can't make it cheap enough to suit them.

I'm sure any procedure you throw onsite about that evaporator will be well received............

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LoL that reminds me of my grand am dash. GM used this squishy material for the dash pad and glued it onto the plastic shell right where the sun hits it everyday. It peels up and curls so far that you can see under the dash pad through the windshield!

Also good news for anyone reading this, the new aftermarket evaporators that I have used look thicker and better built so hopefully after a repair you won't have to do it again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have replaced several evaporators in the 2008-2011 Focus during this summer at work (auto technician) and it seems like it is going to be a common problem with these cars as they age and get higher mileage (70k +).
Mine went out at about 70k due to leaks on the bottom 1/4 of the condenser. That area in particular has very little protection from road debris. I planned to put some aluminum screen behind the plastic grille after I replaced it. 30K miles later and I still haven't done it-- and it shows. Beat.

While I saved on labor, it was a little bit of work. The compressor wouldn't kick on while trying to fill. I finally manned up and slipped my tiny hands down to the compressor clutch wire and manually jumped it, then it engaged itself.

One thing I could never find is the filter you're supposed to replace before you vacuum down and charge, the pancake. Do you have any idea where it is? I was pulling joints apart all over the place (while replacing o-rings) trying to find it, and never did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine went out at about 70k due to leaks on the bottom 1/4 of the condenser. That area in particular has very little protection from road debris. I planned to put some aluminum screen behind the plastic grille after I replaced it. 30K miles later and I still haven't done it-- and it shows. Beat.

While I saved on labor, it was a little bit of work. The compressor wouldn't kick on while trying to fill. I finally manned up and slipped my tiny hands down to the compressor clutch wire and manually jumped it, then it engaged itself.

One thing I could never find is the filter you're supposed to replace before you vacuum down and charge, the pancake. Do you have any idea where it is? I was pulling joints apart all over the place (while replacing o-rings) trying to find it, and never did.
My article is referring to the evaporator inside the dash, but I have changed one condenser on these cars and it was smashed to hell from debris and it was so corroded that I had to change the high pressure line that attaches to it because it was seized.

I'm not sure why you had to jump the compressor because being under vacuum it should have sucked that freon in and kicked on, plus they don't hold much freon.

I am not aware of a factory filter. The 08-11 foci use a TXV mounted on the entrance to the evaporator instead of an orifice tube which is the little screen tube thing found inside an a/c line near the evaporator. The desiccant that absorbs moisture is inside the cylinder next to the condenser on the 08-11 and in the wheel well of the 00-07.

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
There's almost always at least a small screen filter somewhere in the system, finding it is the issue. Can be in that 'cylinder' (receiver/dryer) or often just before any metering device (the TXV).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone, I still have not replaced my Evaporator yet, just haven't had the time. My 1st daughter was born in 2016 and we just had another born memorial day this year. I still will document the procedure when I do it.

My car has 178k miles now! Been fairly problem free, but I replaced both front wheel bearings, rf axle assy, MAF sensor, 2nd pass engine mount, and the electronic throttle body. (MAF was the idle problem, throttle body was my first guess)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I finally replaced the evaporator, just uploading the bulk of the picture files for now and will edit later for descriptions. I can only upload 10 pictures at a time so more posts will follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
upload 2

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
upload 3

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
upload 4

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
upload 5

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
OMG those pictures. Taking out just the HVAC/Audio center panel and console is enough of a hassle. This thing goes to the junkyard before I'm pulling out the entire dash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts