Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I tried to swap my summer wheels out with my winter wheels and the 6 spline lug nuts on the car are so seized that my air impact gun broke 3 of them.

The only way I can think to get the now broken lug nuts off the bolt is to torch them. In an effort to save the wheels, does anyone know if I would be able to take the whole hub off without removing the wheels?
If not I have to lose the wheels, which I'm hoping I don't have to do... They're 17" Ford Mondeo racing 16 spoke racing rims, but I'd be ok getting some of the 17" Focus Racing rims, there are some for sale nearby for $200 so I could get those, but again I'd like to save the ones I have

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Never use those splined nuts, never.

How often are you removing/replacing the wheels/lug nuts so they dont become seized? Are you using any anti-seize on the studs?

Paul

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

How often are you removing/replacing the wheels/lug nuts so they dont become seized? Are you using any anti-seize on the studs?

Paul
I always use anti-seize, i got the car back in July and haven't touched the wheels since. First time trying to take them off. I have spline nuts in my SVT as well, and they have never been an issue. I plan on switching them back to standard lugs but I need to order good ones. All they sell out where I'm at are cheap chrome caps where the caps fall off after 2 removals.

I usually switch rims between winter and summer so it's never been an issue, but idk how long the guy before me was swapping them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Paul
More pressing however, is idk how the hell to get my wheels off now. I mean I guess it could be worse because they're definitely not coming off, but you need winter tires for NY Winters, and these have summers, not even all-seasons.

I honestly am to the point where I'd just take it to a shop and say do it screw the rims, but I would really like to try to save them. I have hubs, but idk if I could manage to get the current hubs off the car without removing the whole wheel. I know it can be done in the back because there is a ton of clearance on the smaller rotors, but not sure about the front.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Like said, use little dab of anti seize on the studs......

·
Registered
154 Posts
Center punch, a drill and a lot of patience? I expect the lugs are pretty hard and you'll need a carbide-tipped drill. Drill out the center of the lug working your way up to a bit larger than the threads.

This setup is ideal, but not sure where you find a magnetic-base drill other than a fab shop.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would probably resort to drilling them out. If you can hit it with a torch first without messing up the wheel, I would do that so you can heat up the stud and let it cool slowly to remove some of the hardness and make it easier to drill. Get a good center punch as close to the middle as possible and use a good cobalt bit to start out going slowly and keeping the bit cool so you don't burn it out. After the first pilot hole, you can use cheaper bits if you step up the diameter slowly. Not a fun job but not many other options here that I can see.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ive heard of hole saw for the size of the lug (aka larger than the stud,) chisel, hammer on a slightly smaller impact socket, bolt extractor (like this but confirm stock bold size) and/or lots of patience/luck

Lastly, order set of lugs, like gorilla or mcgard.
If you can find the exact right diameter hole saw and can keep it sufficiently centered, that could work. It probably would have to be partially chewing through the hardened lug stud, however, so that could dull it quickly. I don't think those extractors would work as there won't be enough clearance to get them sufficiently driven to get a good grip on the remaining portion of the lug nut.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like there is still some spline left there. You can't pound the tool on it? Maybe open up the end with a die grinder to get it started?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any competent tire shop will have lug extractor sockets made exactly for that.
These extractors are made to remove busted, rounded & security lugs.
Should cost less than the $200 wheels your eyeing, for them to do the job.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
I've removed McGards before by finding a nut that fits correctly on the end to have the nut outer points the exact same OD as the lug, glue it on with like 3M weatherstrip. Then take a dremel with a small OD rock like used for chainsaw chain sharpening and slowly grind flats on the OD of the lug copying the flats timing on the nut you glued on. Done carefully and with some patience you will grind 6 flats to then pick a socket to fit and the lug then comes right off. Takes maybe 10 minutes a lug and wheel absolutely undamaged.

·
Registered
499 Posts
To me, it looks like the nut is broken off down so far that there is not much left exposed in the recessed hole in the wheel so there's not enough to grab onto with an extractor socket so that leaves little else than resorting to drilling.

Here's some advice from a guy who has done a bunch of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts