Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I blew the driver's seat airbag on my 2007 Focus ST last winter (it tore the seat when it detonated like it's supposed to), and have been having a terrible hard time trying to find a replacement seat. The fellow at my salvage yard, who I generally think is knowledgeable on these things, told me that only another MK1 ST seat will work as a replacement, and finding one is going to be a needle-in-a-haystack search. The car's got a black leather interior and the seat is still largely intact, so I'm wondering if it'd be easier to try and source an airbag module for the existing seat and repair the upholstery. Has anyone tried replacing the airbag module itself, or does anyone know a good place to get a driver's seat for a 2007 ST?

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Thinking the module is considered part of the seat, only an unusual place will separate them or scrapyard. Even repairing upholstery could be a problem as it is required to tear out easily at detonation and sewing that exactly to do so can be problematic.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Scrapyards here will not sell airbags. You will probably need to buy a whole seat. Upholstered shop should be able to repair your seat. It is an art form.

·
So mote be it
8,856 Posts
Willing to go to a non airbag seat? There are companies that sell devices to trick the car to thinking the air bag is there. Usually its done when going to an aftermarket race seat. Would give you more options for seats but give up some safety. The majority of '07s did not include the side air bag in the seat. SVT and other mk1-mk1.5 seats bolt right in and would be more readily available than an 07 ST seat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Willing to go to a non airbag seat? There are companies that sell devices to trick the car to thinking the air bag is there. Usually its done when going to an aftermarket race seat. Would give you more options for seats but give up some safety. The majority of '07s did not include the side air bag in the seat. SVT and other mk1-mk1.5 seats bolt right in and would be more readily available than an 07 ST seat
That'd certainly be something I'm interested in! I'm comfortable driving without the airbag; I'm just looking for something that will help me through inspection. What are these devices called, and do you know if they're compatible with these older models? (And how much do they usually cost?)

EDIT: Looks like they're called "SRS Fixes" or "Airbag seat canceller" and are basically just a resistor that hooks up to the wiring harness. Any idea what size of resistor is needed?

·
Registered
844 Posts
That'd certainly be something I'm interested in! I'm comfortable driving without the airbag; I'm just looking for something that will help me through inspection. What are these devices called, and do you know if they're compatible with these older models? (And how much do they usually cost?)
All you need is a 2.2ohm 1 watt resistor to.jump the connection for the airbag at the seat connector. You can purchase at Frys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts