Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car into the mechanic to see if anything was wrong with it. I knew there was a problem with the rear because it would squeak and clunk. Turns out every bushing is done. I went under the car to see for myself and ive got bolts that are bowed. metal rubbing against its self.
He said it would cost roughly 2000$. I dont know why it would be so much, i mean i just put a engine, tranny and clutch for 2500$
If someone can direct me to a site that sells some better quality parts than OEM.
If you guys got any opinions let me know

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You don't have to buy 'Stock" for replacement arms, but there aren't any 'better" ones avail. other than special purpose adjustable ones or performance "Poly" bushings for the arms (expensive labor for those, only practical if you have a press & can do it).

Cutting bolts & replacing them to get it apart is the pricey portion of the job, more so than the cost of the arms themselves. Very labor intensive, and a big job to do them all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't have to buy 'Stock" for replacement arms, but there aren't any 'better" ones avail. other than special purpose adjustable ones or performance "Poly" bushings for the arms (expensive labor for those, only practical if you have a press & can do it).

Cutting bolts & replacing them to get it apart is the pricey portion of the job, more so than the cost of the arms themselves. Very labor intensive, and a big job to do them all.
So his quote around 2000$ is correct then? is it worth getting adjustable ones?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It sounds high to me, but I don't know Canadian pricing & it's hard to guess without a breakdown of how that number was arrived at. (parts, labor etc.)

Some of the adjustable parts might not hold up to Winter as well as stock, if you don't need them & aren't going for a performance build they aren't necessarily better.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yep, the dollar itself isn't that different (in the right way to make that sound more reasonable though). I was wondering about parts pricing as I'd heard you get hit a lot harder there for parts.

Could be getting hit for a third to half of that as parts pricing, between Canadian prices & Shop prices. Are they adding in new trailing arms? Those usually get bushings replaced instead of whole arms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts