Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this maybe an old question, but anyhow I've been having intermittent problems with my throttle body hanging wide open. Is there a way there is a way of rebuilding it if the budget is tight. Also is there a good aftermarket option that won't cause the sticking. I've watched videos on them when cold, but issue is when hot. Please help. I don't want to get a ticket or kill people when this occurs

w/ my magic bag
Really never heard a foci throttle sticking wide open.......There is a issue w/ off idle stickyness thanx to the egr....Open up the throttle body blade & spray some t/b, carb clean down the throat & around the edges. As far as additional stickyness, very well could be your throttle cable is kinked or something....Undo the cable at the t/b & see if it still sticks......

Registered
As I understand the problem they usually stick open just a few degrees from closed - not at WOT. How often do you open the throttle blade all the way? Have you disconnected the gas pedal (throttle) and cruise control cables from the TB to isolate the components and determine if its the TB or a cable that is sticking?

Paul

So mote be it
My sister's '07 would get stuck, especially in winter. I took apart the throttle body and cleaned it up. Lots of gunk/carbon built up.

Get some CRC Throttle Body cleaner from your local parts store. You can get to the TB with just common hand tools (iirc its most just a couple of clamps after the air filter.) If you dont want to fully remove the TB, just manually open the TB plate, shove a towel behind it and spray the plate and surrounding tube, wipe off any excess.

Then just go drive the car hard and burn up the rest of the gunk you might have left behind.

*I have read that there may be a coating on the TB and using solvents can remove that. I havent had any issues since but just a heads up
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:focusfanatics.com+throttle+body+cleaner&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

1 - 6 of 6 Posts