Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an '07 ZX4 back in May and have been working through some repairs and upgrades since then. Love the car dearly and definitely keeping it around for a long while.

Next thing I want to tackle are the dash and climate control lights. Left side of dash is out but I'll end up replacing all of them when I'm in there. Wondering if anyone knows what size the bulbs are so I can order those and any advice for getting at the bulbs. Also, are the climate bulbs the same size? If not what size are those? I forgot to check when I was in there replacing the radio.

Thanks and I'll be around a bunch this Spring with some more upgrades.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Climate bulbs are all the same size, I believe there are 4 of them. I went to the junkyard and grabbed a handful, easy to replace, they just twist out of the back of the unit. The radio bezel pops out of the dash, no screws to remove. Use a plastic pry tool or screwdriver. There are 2 snap/pop pins at the top (one in each corner) and two at the bottom. Be careful, mine was brittle and one broke off. Ended up back at the junkyard for a replacement bezel. You'll see the light bulbs on the back (grey or white rectangles sticking up that you turn), just twist them counter clockwise and they will snap out. Install replacments and snap bezel back into dash. Test to make sure they light up first, of course. Not sure on the dash cluster, haven't had to remove mine yet.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Next thing I want to tackle are the dash and climate control lights. Left side of dash is out but I'll end up replacing all of them when I'm in there. Wondering if anyone knows what
When you say 'dash' do you mean 'instrument cluster'?

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, but I can't seem to find any LED lights for my cluster. All my other lights seem to be working, I just don't have lights in the cluster besides the needles that light up. I would love to start driving my '07 Hatchback 5-spd manual more often but no light, no driving.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, but I can't seem to find any LED lights for my cluster. All my other lights seem to be working, I just don't have lights in the cluster besides the needles that light up. I would love to start driving my '07 Hatchback 5-spd manual more often but no light, no driving.
Please clarify without refering to any previous posts. Do any of the instrument cluster and/or heater control illumination lamps (that are controlled by the dimmer wheel on the headlight switch) work?

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everything works besides my Instrument Lights, climate control is fine and the dimmer is working. It's just the cluster itself is not lighting up.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Everything works besides my Instrument Lights, climate control is fine and the dimmer is working. It's just the cluster itself is not lighting up.
A single wire from the dimmer module inside the heqdlight switch splices into several wires that feed the instrument cluster (IC) illumination, heater control illumination, radio illumination, and hazard flasher illumination lamps. All these lamps are powered thru a single fuse (F30 in the CJB) so it cannot be a fuse issue. Its conceivable that there is an issue with the wire from the splice that feeds the IC but I find that doubtfut. Its also possible that the wire feeding the IC illumination lamps is not making good contact at the IC connector. You would need to partially pull out the cluster so you can 'cycle' (unplug/replug) the 32 pin IC connector to check if that makes a difference. And if your turn signal indicators work its not a ground issue as the IC illumination lamps use the same ground at the TS indicators. Its possible that all the illumination lamps in the IC have burned out. The non-tach IC uses two lamps and the tach IC uses three lamps. You would need to pull out the cluster and check the lamps themselves.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you taken the cluster out? Have you tested the bulbs? You can use a 9 volt battery to test the bulbs, the bulbs twist out with a quarter turn counter clockwise, and then the bulbs are seated in a plastic piece that they are just pushed in to. You can pull the bulb out of that plastic seat and then slightly bend the two wires that are wrapped up the side of the bulb to touch each prong of the 9 volt battery to test it. Just make sure you bend the wires back the same way they were. The cluster comes out really easily BTW, just a few screws and the plug has a lever style locking mechanism that holds the plug to the back of the cluster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts