Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alternator on our '07 Focus is whining badly. Can anyone tell me if it's easiest to remove from the top or bottom. It looks like a PIA either way. All help appreciated!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
do you have an auto or manual? the auto cars have the engine a little closer to the firewall. I have a manual and was barely able to squeeze it out of the top. Id undo the 2 bolts that hold the motor mount to the chassis and slide that side of the engine forward. use a floor jack with a piece of wood to support the oil pan to slide it. that should give you just enough room

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
With a manual, removal is easier from below after removing the bolts. All you have to do is unbolt the carrier bearing on the axle, and the axle will drop down. It's 2 bolts 25 ft-lbs. The alternator cooler is probably going to be harder to remove- that's the plastic duct on the back of the alternator.

Are you positive it's the alternator that is squealing and not the tensioner pulley?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile I just got finished replaceing the alternator on my 07 automatic Zx4 and it will not come out the bottom. I got mine out the top by getting it close to the passenger side fender and then bringing it out pulley 1st. And it is a big pain , took me 3 hours to get it out.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
How many miles did you guys have on yours?

Also since it was such a PITA what did you replace it with? Did you just get a cheap one locally or did you pay big bucks for a quality one?

What was the cost of the replacement belt?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anyone can tell you that the motorcraft alternator is going to be better than any of the aftermarket ones that you get, unless you can confirm they are rebuilt oem ones.

As for removal, if you don't want to take off the exhaust manifold for easy removal from the top, then you will have to remove one of the bolts for the dogbone mount so that you can swing the engine foward in order to remove it easily from the bottom. I have an ATX and know that there is no way to get it out the top without either removing the passsenger and dogbone mounts or removing the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Anyone put in an upgraded one? I think my stereo might be asking to much from my stock alternator

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Anyone put in an upgraded one? I think my stereo might be asking to much from my stock alternator
Check the Car Audio and Electronics section for that. I know I've found an upgraded Ford alternator up to 200 amp, but it requires an external VR, there are lower output- like 160a- that don't require the external VR. With a serious stereo you will want larger hot and ground wires, and the external VR wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you mounted it away from the exhaust.

As far as the alternators go, I still recommend locating a local rebuilder. It helps support your local small businesses, and you will generally save money as compared to parts store prices. Most places have one nearby because that's who rebuilds alternators and starters for most independent auto repair shops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the answers. It's not the idler as the whine varies with the load on the electrical system. I also did the old broom handle to ear thing and the alternator was the noisy one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts