Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timeline:
  • Wife ordered the car new in ‘06
  • Seven years/~50k miles later, the shifting issue came up - not wanting to make the 1-2 shift, hard shifting at times. Had it serviced (case bored & bushing installed, new band, etc). O/D light started flashing yellow following service, the servicing shop and a second shop could not figure it out.
  • Seven years/~50k miles later, same issue again.
Searching for solutions online led me to replacing shift solenoids A & B (no change), along with fresh fluid and a new filter. Old fluid smelled like it was starting to cook, too. It appears that solenoids C & E operate gears 1 & 2, so I changed those. It still takes longer to shift 1-2 than it should (3500-5000 RPM, depending on acceleration), and occasionally hard-shifts, but seems a little better than before.

Didn’t find any codes stored, and no CEL on the dash.

Could it be in the computer and not the transmission? Something else?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't see how cooked smelling transmission fluid could be anything but a cooked transmission.

I recently had trouble switching gears between one and two about 2k miles after a transmission oil change. I could only drive home in Low not drive. Otherwise it would be a hard shift or slip out of gears to neutral. No flashing lights. I switched two solenoid packs, and amazingly it fixed it. Usually I think "Changing the solenoid packs" is a step people take hoping it fixes the problem but rarely does, similar to when the CAT goes bad, hoping spending money on "swapping a Oxygen Sensor" will fix the problem. In my case, I was very lucky and it worked.

I'd just recommend finding a good shop to go to. The last one you went to seemed not so good, but its been six years and they learn and have tech changes. I'm lucky enough to be in a valley of 4 million people with plenty of shops. Those in the Yukon Territory in Canada may not be so lucky.

·
Registered
2006 ZXW SE, starting its new life as a sleeper
49 Posts
Not a solution, but an FYI: 4F27E is digitally controlled, so it does shift later at heavy throttle by design. If I floor it from a stop, it shifts at 6300. This makes sense given that peak HP is at 6000 and peak torque is at 4800rpm. I've always found that letting up on the pedal a bit after getting going will let it shift sooner, even with some hard acceleration.

Chris: re Yukon, thriving in the North requires people who are more skilled and adaptable, so you'd be surprised by what they pull off in places like Whitehorse and Dawson City.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
'...4F27E is digitally controlled, so it does shift later at heavy throttle by design. If I floor it from a stop, it shifts at 6300. This makes sense given that peak HP is at 6000 and peak torque is at 4800rpm. I've always found that letting up on the pedal a bit after getting going will let it shift sooner, even with some hard acceleration.'

ALL ATX on earth have done that for over 50 years and way before the electronics ever were used. What the fluid pressure governor combined with throttle pressure did before the solenoids came along. The two modulate each other to produce correct shifting under varying loads and engine speeds. The TPS, MAF, and output speed sensor along with solenoids do that now.

·
Registered
2006 ZXW SE, starting its new life as a sleeper
49 Posts
Good to know. I knew that shifting was always load dependant, but didn't realise it was the exact same behaviour

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is currently in the shop for diagnosis/repair.

It’s definitely not a hard acceleration delay in shifting. Cruising up the street at 25-30 MPH from my house to the stop sign it should shift to second gear but it just continues to wind up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts