Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Went to change plugs in my 2.0l today and found the spark plugs boots swimming in oil. Engine is running ok just doing some PM. Anybody else run across something like this? I'm guessing leaking valve cover gasket.

It is also ticking like a lifter issue, I'm guessing this is an intake issue?

And then there is a growl when I goose it, as well as vibration when I draw power under load. It's a MTX 75 tranny. Motor mount?

I'm uploading a video.

http://youtu.be/4vCoDOiFe0A

Any suggestions/ideas are welcomed.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your video is marked as private on youtube. No one can watch it to help diagnose. I'm not sure about the plugs swimming in oil as I don't have enough experience in that area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops on the video. Just changed it.

Try again.

Searching found the oil leak is common.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Valve cover gasket

Intake manifold "tumble flaps" - no worry until ridiculously loud

Motor mount possible for vibration, look at lower as well. No vibes 'till you goose it, lower is more likely. Idle vibes - Pass. side Mt., use Ford one there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That "growl" sounds like typical ford power steering whine. Maybe check the power steering fluid. Might need to be changed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas.

Changing fluid didnt help power steering whine. Not sure about the growl though. Never thought of that being power steering.

Sailor, my local Ford dealer says they have never seen the pass side mounts go bad. According to their search the closest available mount is 3 hours away and they didnt even offer to order it for me. Go figure!

·
Registered
436 Posts
How did you change the fluid? There's easy ways to do it. Not sure if there the right ways but it works. I use a turkey baster. suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir, fill with new, start car turn wheels all the way both ways twice. Repeat until fluid comes out clean. Did this once to a vehicle that had almost no power steering and it brought it right back. Took a little while though.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
It is also ticking like a lifter issue, I'm guessing this is an intake issue?
You may have already checked, but how's your oil level? My Escape and my roommate's Miata would start clicking when they would get low on oil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hartb: I changed it the same way you did. Turkey baster.

Regard oil level, it's a fresh change. All filled up. Been ticking for a long time.

Only has 268k on it.... :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pass. side motor mount vibes aren't as common with the duratec engine mounts as the zetec mounts, but hardly unheard of.

You didn't mention vibes at idle, so I'm thinking that IF a mount is involved the rear lower is more likely. Seen it both ways, just throwing out a best guess from the description.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't have much vibration at idle. Just the usual stuff from a 4 cyl engine. Battery cover rattles but the thing idles smooth, especially with new plugs. I just figured with over 260k miles on it a mount might be warranted.

I took it to a second Ford dealer and let them watch the engine while I torqued it a little. Tough to do with a 5spd. Anyway, you could see the engine roll. We both agreed roll restrictor, but he did not offer to order me one. Said they are known to fail and aimed me to Napa, Advance, etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found oil in one of my spark plug holes this past weekend while doing spark plug change. Looks like a valve cover/spark plug gasket change. 156,xxx miles on my ST.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Torque strut mount differences

Well, went to change my torque strut aka dogbone and ran into a little issue. Either Ford changed parts in the middle of production or my local Ford dealer installed a mount for an '08 vs '07 in my car back in June. Anybody else run across this difference? The bolts don't fit!

The one that came off the car is on the left in the attached pics.

Bill

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts