Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright , long story short . I just replaced my Alternator with an High output alternator .

When I was putting the belt back on I hit my crankshaft position sensor with a serpentine belt tool . I didn't damage or break anything but the sensor was in the way so I removed it so that I wouldn't break it .

I didn't mark how I took the sensor off and when I put the sensor back on I didn't think anything about it being in the wrong place or causing the car not to start.
So I hooked the battery cables back up and go to start it up and it just turns over and that's it nothing else .

What kinda trouble have I gotten myself into by doing this ?

Any input is appreciated , all that I can say is that I'm an idiot for thinking that changing the alternator would be a piece of cake . [bawling]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tom, you are correct it does only go in one way; however I'm also aware that ford sells an alignment tool that's included with the sensor when you buy a new one. I should note that I was able to swap the one from my old 2.0 onto my 2.3 without having the need for it.

So my conclusion would be that it's either broken, or not aligned properly. Also check the wires to make sure that they weren't broken during removal.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom, you are correct it does only go in one way; however I'm also aware that ford sells an alignment tool that's included with the sensor when you buy a new one. I should note that I was able to swap the one from my old 2.0 onto my 2.3 without having the need for it.

So my conclusion would be that it's either broken, or not aligned properly. Also check the wires to make sure that they weren't broken during removal.

It's not broken , that was why I moved it and no wires were disconnected when I moved it . I looked last night on my Alldatadyi subscription and come to find out that I have throwed my timing off and I need that timing tool to get the sensor set , so it looked like I can only get the tool with a new sensor . And then I need this thing called a Timing Peg.
http://www.handsontools.com/Ford-Motorcraft-303-507-Crankshaft-TDC-Timing-Peg_p_20176.html , And of course not any parts stores around here carry it .

So it looks like I'm gonna have to get a new sensor to get the timing tool . [rant]

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
That timing peg is to get TDC , why would you have to do that for the crank sensor , I have built a TON of these engines and cant think of anyone that has had starting issues

I would be very curious what the crank sensor tool looks like

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Test for a spark at a plug. If you have no spark then your sensor is likely dead.
Measure the sensors resistance with an Ohm meter / Multimeter set to a low ohms range. The coil should give around 400 ohms

I saw on some engines a 1mm dia steel wire (Mig wire for example) was used to space the sensor from the crank teeth.. but i can't recall which engine it was.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out and bought a Haynes manual for the 2000 to 2007 Ford Focus ,

And what I have read about the crankshaft position sensor, it is not to be removed from your vehicle at all. This sensor can only be used ONCE and for us that have the 2005's to 2007's-2.0L's you have to use the Timing Peg to find TDC which is Top Dead Center and your doing this for Cyclinder 1. Then the new sensor comes with the alignment tool (not sold separate) only comes with a new sensor .
So I made a major screw up when I removed mine to get to a tension pulley bolt to keep from messing the ckp sensor up.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Like Tom said, I'd like a better look at that sensor, AND how it's adjustable B4 giving up...

If it needs to be aligned when new, it can be aligned again...

Quite possibly without the "official" tool.... Once we figure out how it's supposed to work...

Luck Slayer..

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those interested in seeing what the crankshaft sensor for the 07 Duratec's looks like here it is . And the Spider looking thing is the alignment tool that the sensor snaps into when you get ready to put it on the car .
Then after you get it aligned and installed the tool comes off .
Now all I need is that Timing Peg tool and its schedules to be delivered the week of the 14th :(

Reactions: sutyak

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 ford focus crank sensor

the crank sensor can be installed backwards if its the two bolt type of sensor when its installed backwards the sensing point will be pointing at the belt when its put in wrong when you turn it so the bolts go in the right way the sensor then points at the cogged gear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts