Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Common problem.....there is no cabin filter available for the '05-'07 models. The filter available for the earlier models won't fit.

Your only option is to rig up your own. The opening is under the passenger cowl. You need to pry off a screen, and make your own filter.....this one is made from a cut-up furnace filter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cabin filter

Thanks bluefront, I'll do that. The local dealer wants $45 for a filter-too much.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might have found it

I went to the Fram filter site and got Fram part#CF9118 and Car Quest #
89808. A local Pep Boys store doesn't show the Fram# but a Car Quest
store does. The C Quest store doesn't carry the #, it's too new. Nearby
is large C Quest warehouse that sells to the public and has the # in stock,
according to the store. Tomorrow they open at 8 am and they will see my smiling face. now, will it fit??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how to install

Ok, just tried to remove the plastic grid that's in place of the cabin air filter from the factory. Can't access anything from the firewall like the 04. The
plastic grid piece is under the paper filter in Bluefront's picture. How is the filter element installed?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I've never seen the earlier Focus cabin filter setup on the car......but I have seen the filter from the earlier years. A parts store sold me one....swore it would fit. It doesn't. It's way too big, and simply won't go into the housing of an '06 (the picture above).

So if you do buy an earlier filter, you'd have to cut it up to get it in there. Why bother? Get a furnace filter for cheap dollars and cut it up. You can make four Focus filters for 1/2 the cost of one early Focus OEM filter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bluefront is right

Mike from Hilbish looked up the cabin filter and told me that from 03/04 production and up no cabin air filter was used. Bluefront's modified furnace filter is the way to go for filtered cabin air.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The FP38 filter fits the 2003 and the 2004 Focus. the problem is in the 2005 and up models. they are the ones without the factory filtering system. i have heard that the 2010 now has a filter system again.

i am thinking that within the next couple of years you will see MANY more domestics having cabin air filters in them. GOOD IDEA. 80% or more of foreign models have them now. filter out dust and pollen and keep the cabin cleaner giving you fresher air to breathe. There are some filters with carbon/charcoal that will filter out a lot of the odors that you smell such as diesel etc....

so, what you should do is either buy a 2010 or get a 2000-2004 so you can have a car with a cabin filter in it....lol.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Mike from Hilbish looked up the cabin filter and told me that from 03/04 production and up no cabin air filter was used. Bluefront's modified furnace filter is the way to go for filtered cabin air.
Go find a Focus in a junkyard, and remove the cabin air filter holder. Then you can put a factory cabin air filter in your car. You'll need some stuff to seal it up with, but I'm sure you can figure that out. The best stuff to use would be automotive window sealer which is about $15/tube, fits in a caulk gun, and will most likely only be found at an automotive glass installer, or supplier. There is some stuff you can get at regular parts stores, but it's more like rubber cement.

Try to resist the ******* impulse to use silicone or exterior caulk. These can't handle the high temps, and will work for a year or so before leaking.

From what I understand, the old cabin air filter holder will fit right where the cabin air screen is on the 05. It might even reduce a little wind noise.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^That's an option I suppose, if it really fits. But......you'll have to break up the housing that's in there, because it's glued down like iron. Then you'll have to worry about resealing a new housing, because everything under the cowl is extremely awkward to reach.

You can make a filter like the picture above in a few minutes....just cut it slightly wider than the screen you'll have to pry off. That way it puts tension on the long sides of the stock housing, and prevents air leaks around the sides. My DIY filter has been in there for almost five months now.....and still looks like new.

The Ford maintenance manual recommends cabin filter replacement every 15K. I expect to change my DIY filter yearly. When you buy a furnace filter to use, make the cuts so the pleats run the same direction as the long edge of the housing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I changed the cabin air filter in my Moms 2008 Accord. It was filthy and simple to access. So I decided to " change " the cabin air filter in my 2007 Z3 Focus - no air. Watched a few Youtube videos.
And Napa sold me a filter .... Disclaimer on their website , " it may not fit"
Then I opened up the plastic cowl. Lots of crud . vacuumed and cleaned as best I could. Gotta be an improvement.

Of course the Napa filter doesn't fit .... because the car just has a mesh screen and no replaceable filter ....

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Follow post #10 advice and get an early Focus box from the scrapyard like shown similar to post #2 pic. Not the same but it fits the same stud center if you clean off the flat there of all goop. Then make a filter to fit the early box, which is close to the post #2 pic. Except shaped different to hold the filter up a bit rather than laying down on the original screen. Two pieces, one inserts inside the other and using like small home a/c window unit foam trap the foam between the two plastic pieces to get a nice renewable filter.

The early filter box screws down with screws instead of the studs sticking up in post #2 pic. Use either method to hold the box down and glue it up really well as that flat is often under water in the rain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts