Focus Fanatics Forum banner

06 ZX5 2.5 Swap

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  RockLeetaijutsu26 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I've been around for a long time, but haven't really ever posted here much. Just wanted to show the new project (#12 for me). I traded my 02 SVT with a mild engine build on it for this. It's an 06 ZX5 with a Fusion 2.5L swap, and an FSWerks Stage 2 turbo kit on it (GTX2871R). I don't actually have that many photos of it yet, mostly because it's just been collecting dust and pollen here (thanks Texas).

Since I picked it up, I swapped on a spare SVT front end since the half gen front end was a bit damaged. I was thinking about going SAP, since it came with it, but I personally like the SVT look more. It also has a complete MK1 interior swap, but I am working on putting it back to the half gen interior. I know, call me weird, but I just like the half gen interior more. The previous owner was also working on a Volvo electric power steering swap, but since that's not something I'm willing to tackle at the moment, I swapped it back to the original system.

Right now, she isn't on the road yet as we're working through remote tuning. I also need to replace a leaky axle seal, a leaky brake line, reseal the oil pan, and connect the front sway bar. Then, she should be good to go! Can't wait to take her for a rip!

Wheel Tire Cloud Car Vehicle

The 02 SVTF - under 60K on the chassis, but on Engine #3...she had a rough past.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

The new project. Some of the rusty bolts here have been replaced with new stainless ones

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

How she looked a few months ago

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Doing the swap and how she sits now

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

I also discovered some rust in the rear, it is a midwest car after all. However, sanding it down and adding some rust proof paint should help keep it from coming back right away.

See less See more
#3 ·
For sure. I had a Duratec before with the FSWerks CAI on a Roush front bumper for 6ish years while I lived in MN, and drove that car in the winter. The air filter stuck right behind the open grill mesh on the Roush bumper haha. It'll be good, because this car shouldn't really ever see rain unless I accidentally get caught in it.

Reactions: pbfoot
#5 ·
That's a great looking car! Any additional info on the 2.5 swap? I'm about to undertake that process myself and am interested in hearing any thoughts on it.

I'm also curious about the suspension you have on there, if you'd like to share info on that also.

#7 ·
The 2.5 is a Duratec, so it has the same bolt pattern for the transmission bell housing as the 2.0 and 2.3 Duratec. Any transmission that fits a Duratec should bolt right up.
The only difference between the 2.5 and the 2.0/2.3 is that passenger side engine mount is different so the timing cover from a 2.3 needs to be used. Specifically a 2.3 because the deck height is taller than a 2.0.

#9 ·
I don’t know what the differences are and I don’t know your fabricating skills. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it. 2.3 covers aren't that hard to find at the junkyard, and worst case scenario you can buy one for less than $100. It just seems easier.