Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the hitch for this vehicle ain't been invented yet. Can't order anything online from Yakima, Rhode Gear, Hidden Hitch, Reese, et. al. with confidence... Reckon they either won't work, or I'll have to do something horrible and scary to the diffuser?

Anyone seen a solution? Need to use a hitch-mounted bike rack for various reasons. I know that a bike - maybe even two - can be made to fit in the back, but will have need for that space for luggage, gear, humans, canines, etc.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
from what i heard, you can't use a hitch with the rear diffuser, and I never noticed how far the exhaust tip entends due to the lunchbox muffler on the non ST models as well.

You want to mount bikes, you might need an ugly roof rack.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just installed a Drawtite hitch that I purchase online and it clears the stock rear bumper on my 2006 ZX3 by 1/4". It was a bolt in, but had to enlarge one existing hole on the passenger side. Part number: 24692 $93.55 1 Sport Frame Receiver Hitch
I don't plan on ever towing anything but wanted a 1.25" receiver to mount a Brake/Taillight

Car's dirty it was raining tonight.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Yeah but the problem with that is, I don't think any hitches are made to fit the SVT, or any Focus hatch for that matter (last I knew anyway).

But apparently that DrawTite one will do the trick, at least for non-SAPs. I'm not sure how much of a clearance difference there is between those 2 bumpers...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
zzx32006 said:
I just installed a Drawtite hitch that I purchase online and it clears the stock rear bumper on my 2006 ZX3 by 1/4". It was a bolt in, but had to enlarge one existing hole on the passenger side. Part number: 24692 $93.55 1 Sport Frame Receiver Hitch
I don't plan on ever towing anything but wanted a 1.25" receiver to mount a Brake/Taillight

Car's dirty it was raining tonight.
Do you have a big problem in your area with midget clown cars rear ending folks? Why do you need a brake light down that low?

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I think in order for a hitch to fit an SVT or SAP package, you have to modify the rear diffuser. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Scott_SVT said:
Do you have a big problem in your area with midget clown cars rear ending folks? Why do you need a brake light down that low?
I have put a light on all of my vehicles after getting rear ended 3 times in my 91 Ranger 4x4. Since I installed them I havn't been rear ended (yet) . I also think it looks cool going down the highway at night and when all 4 brake lights kick in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That drawtie is horendous I can't believe it sticks out that far. I just instaled a Hidden Hitch on my ST two weeks ago and the only thing that isn't hidden behind the bumper cover is the main hitch itself. I'll get some pics up tomarow of mine to show the drastic diference between the two. I think the hidden hitch with a little modification might work with your SAP bumber cover though.

Never mind I thought you had a sedan also. Could you maybe post picks of how it is mounted I'm curious to see what the difference is. And if there can still be modifications to a hitch to make it work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
zzx32006 said:
I have put a light on all of my vehicles after getting rear ended 3 times in my 91 Ranger 4x4. Since I installed them I havn't been rear ended (yet) .
Did the brake lights on your ranger work? Were your accidents in the same spot? Sometimes there's more to a rear-ending than just the drivers not seing enough red lights. I know my wife got rear ended in two different cars for a total of three times in a one block stretch of road. Each time, the cops that came to the scene said "People get rear-ended here all the time, today was just your day. We don't know why, but it would probably be better if you tried to drive a different way"

Nonetheless, it's good that you're safety (non-accident) oriented.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts