Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried looking through the stickies and can't find anything so please excuse me if it has been previously covered.

Is there any difference between the suspension on an 05 ST and an 06? In the way for using lets say the same AM lowering springs. Eibach says same part number so I would expect not, but Tein and H&R say they don't know.

Any help would be great guys!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes the '06 has a redesigned suspension that is slightly different from the '05 and prior. You need to make sure any suspension mod is '06 listed. Otherwise it won't work out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I wonder why Eibach's will still fit.... Thanks though, and if anybody has any experience with lowering springs for an 06 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Eibachs '05 will NOT fit '06. They made specific '06 springs for them. Check tirerack.com, newedgeperformance.com or google. As far as I know, these are the best 2 places to find them. They have the pro-kit AND sport lines for '06s, but it MUST say '06 application.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I say that is because the Eibach application guide at my shop says the same part number. I mean I'm not going to just order them all willy nilly lol but thanks for pointing that jsut so I can pass it on to the people I order from to make sure they order the correct ones.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If I recall, the only major difference between '06/'07 and '05-previous is the base of the front strut is 5mm larger on the '06+ models. The springs and rear dampers should still work, and swapping the front spindles for SVT or '05 front spindles will allow you to use any suspension kit made for '00-'05.

·
Registered
696 Posts
SkaAddict said:
If I recall, the only major difference between '06/'07 and '05-previous is the base of the front strut is 5mm larger on the '06+ models. The springs and rear dampers should still work, and swapping the front spindles for SVT or '05 front spindles will allow you to use any suspension kit made for '00-'05.
Supposedly though the seat for the spring is different too, therefore requiring updated springs. I tried getting '05's but that was the answer I got from the dealers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tdkaye1 said:
Supposedly though the seat for the spring is different too, therefore requiring updated springs. I tried getting '05's but that was the answer I got from the dealers.
But did you actually try it??? lol jk

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Yeah, but the spring seat is on the strut as well. If you adapt the front spindles to '05 or SVT you'll be able to use previous years' suspension.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mastodon said:
Let me know how that works out for you when you're cruising at 70 on the interstate. [;)]

Pro-Kit for 06: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1163
Ouch, talk about over priced. Tire rack has them for $195, about $215 shipped. I think New Edge has them too cheaper. That's my only gripe is the pricing of c-f-m. Good stuff, alittle higher than usual.

·
Registered
78 Posts
shawn_carter69 said:
But did you actually try it??? lol jk
I just put H&R Coilovers on my '06. I got "05 knuckles from the dealer parts counter for $101 each. When I opened them up, they had new wheel bearings already pressed in. Everything fit perfectly between the 2 different knuckles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jailbird1818 said:
I just put H&R Coilovers on my '06. I got "05 knuckles from the dealer parts counter for $101 each. When I opened them up, they had new wheel bearings already pressed in. Everything fit perfectly between the 2 different knuckles.
Thanks man, somebody who actually has something constructive to condribute! I think I'm still going to go with an Eibach setup for my 06, but I do appreciate knowing I have options!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
jailbird1818 said:
can you post some pics of the real part that needs to be changed, since i do not seem to point it out... or rather the differences...

·
Registered
78 Posts
The part that needs to be changed is number 3 in this pic:

The only difference is the size of the hole the bottom of the strut mounts into. It's on the very top of the knuckle. I can't remember the sizes, but the '06 is larger. Make sure you specify ABS or non ABS. The ABS sensor mounts through a hole in the knuckle.
I hope this helps!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Now THAT is seriously helpful. Not sure I'd go through the hassle of it all though. I'd just buy the eibach springs and be done unless I go full tein coilovers and remote! ooooooo......

[:D]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Ahem...

SkaAddict said:
the only major difference between '06/'07 and '05-previous is the base of the front strut is 5mm larger
The base of the strut sits in the top of the spindle/knuckle...so if the base of the strut is 5mm wider, the top of the knuckle where the strut sits will also be wider.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
the part number for the 06 is different from the eibach 05 suspension. The 06 part numbers are:

pro kit 1.2, 1.6 inch drop 35108.140
sportlines 2.0, 2.1 inch drop 4.10835

These part numbers are different from the 05's so if you want eibach, you need these numbers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Duffman355 said:
the part number for the 06 is different from the eibach 05 suspension. The 06 part numbers are:

pro kit 1.2, 1.6 inch drop 35108.140
sportlines 2.0, 2.1 inch drop 4.10835

These part numbers are different from the 05's so if you want eibach, you need these numbers.
If that was in response to my earlier statement thanks. I have already figured it out, for some reason the book that we have at work says its the same part number but after I talked to some we looked on teh Eibach website and figured it. Thanks though it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Ahem...

The base of the strut sits in the top of the spindle/knuckle...so if the base of the strut is 5mm wider, the top of the knuckle where the strut sits will also be wider.
You are correct. The top of the '06 knuckle is a bit larger. The mounting bolt for the strut is also larger on the '06. To change out to '05 knuckles one would also need the bolt for the '05.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts