Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on this morning so I took it to autozone and they checked the computer and said everything is fine. The light is not flashing but staying illuminated. Any ideas on whats going on?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
any more details than that?

are there any symptoms going on?

what you can do is this

take the NEGITIVE battery cable off for about 20minutes. It will reset the car and the light might go off. If it comes back on later today or tomorrow then we know it wasnt just a fluke.

Let us know what happens or if there is anything out of the ordinary going on with you car

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat" and edited title.

Is the light still on or did it come on and turn back off later? Either way the computer should have stored the code until it was cleared.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Go back and have them give you the code that is causing the check engine light; then post it on here so we can help you troubleshoot. Everything is NOT fine if the CEL was triggered. It may be nothing at all though but I would not trust Autozone to tell you that.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Take it to another place. My sister took her car once up to oreiley and their code reader didnt work so they instantly told her "she had a bad OBD2 port"

She finaly asked some one else if they had another reader and it worked and gave her the codes.

Get it checked at another place.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Yeah, CEL don't just come on for no reason. There has to be a code in there somewhere. Have it reread BEFORE you unplug the battery to clear it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm going to give it a day or two then if its still on I'll take it somewhere else. The car is running fine and I don't see any reason for the light to have come on. I did get the oil and fuel filter changed last Friday at Midas. Could that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yeah I'm going to give it a day or two then if its still on I'll take it somewhere else. The car is running fine and I don't see any reason for the light to have come on. I did get the oil and fuel filter changed last Friday at Midas. Could that have anything to do with it?
heh, only if they forgot to put oil back in it.

honestly ide never leave the parking lot before i checked over the work those places do. Phil goes on break after Tom drailed all the oil 1hour later you have already taken the car home but phil was the oil fill guy and hes on break.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got a second opinion and turns out the code was p0456. There was a small leak in the evap. emissions control unit. I took it back to midas and they fixed it for free because I got pretty angry with them. All is well now!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
So I got a second opinion and turns out the code was p0456. There was a small leak in the evap. emissions control unit. I took it back to midas and they fixed it for free because I got pretty angry with them. All is well now!
My sister went to oreiley once when she had a CEL and it said upstream 02 sensor and they told her "its hot out that will go away just keep driving it"

The upstream 02 is the one that does most of the work and she said it ran really rough when it was bad.

SHe hates that place now, they have given her nothing but bad advice. I dont have a problem with em but i dont let em do anything for me but look up parts and ring em up.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup - Codes DO mean "something", even if it's "just" an emissions issue....

'Cause you can't pass inspection in most areas if there is a 'code"....

Glad it's fixed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts