Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting untill everything was done before I told my story.

It is, so here goes ...

About a month ago, I was making the 3/4 shift when all of a sudden my car stuttered badly. Really, really badly. I re-engaged 3rd gear, and all seemed ok.

A few minutes later, when driving along at lower speeds, I noticed that the engine wasn't idling right. No CELS were being thrown, just had a very bad idle.

Seeing that I was miles away from home, I figured I'd stop by the dealer (they're open until 11 p.m.) to see if they could take a quick look at it. On my way there, the engine light came on. Now, when I stopped at a light, I could barely keep the engine from stalling out.

Uh-oh ...

I get to the dealer, and they came back an hour later to tell me that my engine had skipped timing and as a result, piston #1 had been damaged. I had to leave the car there until they could take a better look at it the next day.

So they call me the following morning and inform me that ALL 4 PISTONS HAD BEEN DAMAGED! Double Uh-oh (and I only had 2,800 miles on the car!).

They say that they will have to get the Ford rep to come down to see if he would authorize me for a new longblock (head and bottom end). And to my surprise, the service rep informs me that my Focus has a "special" 5 year/50,000 mile powertrain warranty that also covers me for a free rental vehicle. Finally, some good news!

So I go to the rental place, and all they have that's in decent shape is a couple of brand new '06 Ford F-150 4x4 Extended Cabs. I ask them if Ford would allow me to have that vehicle, and the rental guy said: "Don't worry about it, we do such a good business with that dealership, we'll only charge them for the price of a passenger car vehicle". Ummm, OK!

A week later, the Ford rep looks at my car and OK's me for a new longblock. About 5 or 6 days later the new engine arrives, and the work begins. It was extremely hot up here while all this was going on, so I made sure that I didn't pester the dealer with daily "Is it done yet?" phone calls (I called them about once a week for an update).

Last Friday they told me that the new engine had been installed, but that they had also wanted to put in a new exhaust manifold gasket. It had to be ordered and they said that it would be delivered to them in a couple of days.

So tonight at approx. 6:30 p.m., the phone rings. I picked it up with baited breath, and it was the dealership calling.

"Is this Mr. Frank?"

"Yes."

"You car is ready".

YEEEEE FREAKINNNN HAWWWWW !

So as I speak to you now, my baby is sitting quietly outside, happy that's she's home again. But not more happy than I am to have her back home!

P.S. I give Ford and the Dealership a 10/10! They were so good about getting my car repaired as quickly as possible and getting me another vehicle, that I bought a bunch of subs and sodas for the mechanics!

Because for the work that they've been doing in the ultra hot weather ... they deserved it!

PEACE

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
i still can't belive ford made this an interferance motor. dumb mistake on their part.

but glad to hear that you were treated right.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
glad to hear it all went well. way too few stories like this come out so good! they all need to come out like this!!

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
i bought my car with 2 miles on it. and now a year and a half later i got 52000 miles on it. only problem i thought to take to the dealer was the ticking noise when it warms up. they ran it and dynod with other focuses and i guess they all do the same. nothing wrong with it. so far so good nothing wrong with the car yet.....lol i hope all goes well forever but, its a car so.....of course somethin will wear out. prolly my clutch :(

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
I've got over 25,000 on my 05 ST, but I still haven't blown up the motor yet.

Glad to see that Ford took care of you.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
awwwww when i read the title i was hoping for a sotry where the pistons fly through the hood. i dont think its gonna happen but we can dream.....

glad to hear your car is doing well now

Logan

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
uh ohh, I have 4500 miles on my car . . . Anywho, glad everything worked out for you and glad they didn't give you any trouble about the intake/exhaust. Obviously they didn't cause the problems, but some dealers can be real bastards. I was gonna say, I hadn't seen you on here in awhile.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
so what exactly happened to make your engine blow?

you're lucky you didnt have to deal with insurance...when i had to get a new engine in my focus, ford was on that hardcore, but any time they had to wait for something from insurance...you could add 1 week everytime they had to fax a paper.... it took a little over one month for me to get my car back, but it would have been sooner if it wasnt for them. ALSO the awesome guy at ford ARGUED with insurance to make them get me a new engine, but no, they are cheap, and wanted to put a used engine. needless to say my car has been in the shop TWO times since then, all because of that engine

(something wrong with the fuel injection, then actually at this moment its in the shop because it blew a head gasket. also has been almost a month...ford JUST NOW got the check from allstate to pay for the repairs so they are just now starting...omg..)

, so insurance had to cover it. and thhey have spent more money fixing it than theyw ould have if they had just given me a new engine...

i had a thread about this at one point so i'm probably just telling you a story you've already heard lol.

yeah ford 10/10 insurance 4/10

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ZX4STDoug
Glad to hear your back in business.
Originally posted by Logan175
glad to hear your car is doing well now
Originally posted by Duffman355
uh ohh, I have 4500 miles on my car . . . Anywho, glad everything worked out for you and glad they didn't give you any trouble about the intake/exhaust.
Thanks peeps! Glad to be "back in business"! And Duff, you got 4,500 miles on your car? I never even made it to my first oil change ... LOL.

I'm also glad that they weren't concerned about the air filter intake/exhaust. Last week, when I was looking at the new engine sitting there ready to be installed, I said to a mechanic "Wow, now would be a nice time to intall that Cosworth intake manifold!".

He said "Sure, go ahead!". LOL

But I tell you what, at this point I'm EXTREMELY happy that I had NOT done ANY mods to the actual engine itself. And because of what happened, I'm sure that I won't (at least not until AFTER the 5yr/50,000 has expired).

Originally posted by nomoreavril
so what exactly happened to make your engine blow?
If I remember correctly, the Service Manager said something like the crankshaft had spun the timing gear out of whack by a couple of degrees. He said it doesn't take much in that regard to damage our engines.

I'm real sorry to hear about what happened to your car man. I truly know how you must feel to be without her, and this is why I'm not messing with my 5yr/50000. Hope you get your car back soon!

Originally posted by Lil_RedZX3
I've got over 25,000 on my 05 ST, but I still haven't blown up the motor yet.
Yet? LOL Here, let me show you how it's done ...

Originally posted by ZXthrizzle05
... only problem i thought to take to the dealer was the ticking noise
Ticking noise? Maybe you should be calling Homeland Security instead of your mechanic! Yikes!

glad to hear it all went well. way too few stories like this come out so good! they all need to come out like this!!
Originally posted by cruzstyle
sweet dude nice to see a good story for once glad everythign worked out for u
Word up to that ZXthrizzle/cruz!

Originally posted by ZXthrizzle05wickedgreyzx3
i still can't belive ford made this an interferance motor ... mistake on their part ... glad to hear that you were treated right.
Yup, the Service guy told me that the job costed over $5,000. Man! But as I said, Ford was great with me from the git-go. :- )

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Its always good to hear a POSITIVE dealer story.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Well, at least you showed some patience. The daily "are you morons done yet" calls to the dealership only makes things worse. Good job.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
the daily are you morons done yet calls on make things worse.
Is there some punctuation missing here???

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
Well, at least you showed some patience. The daily "are you morons done yet" calls to the dealership only makes things worse. Good job.
You want paitence, look over here [;)]

Approaching 10 months. [:0]

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
wow, are you serious? Making car payments on something you can't drive is just wrong.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts