Focus Fanatics Forum banner

06 Passenger Side High Beam not working.

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  96Formula6spd 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I am trying to help a buddy out with with his 2006 zx3. The current issue is that the Passenger side high beam is not working. Here is the list of things I have looked into so far.

- Replaced the light bulb with a good known one. New bulb and the one from drivers side. Both work on the drivers side socket.
- Checked voltage on the white wire and it has zero volts as the other side has 12v on the same spot when High Beams are triggered.
- Checked fuse but should be fine as its working on one side and they are tied together. Replaced with a spare just as good measure.
- Checked the wiring that I can see. So far nothing looks pinched or broken.
- Changed the relay out with two different junkyard units. Exact same relay and is still working with drivers side headlight. So it checks out. At least the broken case one is gone now.
- Tired to get continuity from the relay spot in the fuse box to the headlight socket. But got nothing for both sides. Anybody know what socket on the 5 spots on the relay are for passenger side headlight. It should be #5 as its the output. #1 is straight power and the switch is #2 and #3. #4 is a ground.

So is there anything else I should look for. Anybody know how the wiring is routed. The car maybe have been in a 5 mph accident. Maybe its broke a wire so I would like to trace it all the way threw the system. Is there a common issue with these cars to have a headlight now work. Been doing some searching but nothing really standing out or it has checked out on ours.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
- Checked fuse but should be fine as its working on one side and they are tied together.
^^ This is where you made a mistake. The passenger side headlight has its' own fuse for Low beam and another fuse for High beam.

There are 5 fuses for the headlight system. Do you have an Owners Manual? If no, go here->
http://www.focusplanet.com/

Whoops! Not that way on a 2006. Sorry. Low Beams have independent fuses on the 2006. What I said above is true on older Foci.

#5 ·
Whoops! Not that way on a 2006. Sorry. Low Beams have independent fuses on the 2006. What I said above is true on older Foci.
Not true regarding "older Foci" Marde. I am unsure which cars use 4 independent fuses (2 for Low and 2 for Hi); but I can verify that my 2004 PZEV does use the 4 fuses; on my car the high beams have two fuses, one for each side.

One of those 5 pins underneath the relay MUST go to the fuse (F27 15A) because the Drivers side high beam is working. The wiring for each high beam comes together (is spliced together) inside the fuse box. Do another continuity test; from the fuse F27 to each headlight. The 2004 has NO connectors in-between the fuse(s) and the headlight assembly... -at least none are shown in my 2004 wire diagram.

Also, please double check the health of the electrical contacts for the bulb on the inside of the socket and on the back-side of the socket connector.

Check out these->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208006

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75185

#8 ·
So my buddy was over and we did swapped his radio. Well the reason he bought the focus is he put his Mustang in the ditch back in October. Anyways we pulled the headlights and found that this car has had a harder hit than previous seen. Its still been repaired fairly well. However we did fine that the headlights may have been replaced with cheaper replacement units. Were the factory ones built in Taiwan? If not then I am leaning towards a cheap headlight housing being the issue.

That being said tonight we ripped out the HID kit from the mustang and installed it into the Focus as it would bolt right in as they are both 9007 bulbs. Since it runs off one side of the harness we now how both lights on all the time. However one of the bulbs got damaged and wont trigger to the high beam. Looks like we will order a new bulb and call it done for now. And yes we know HIDs do not belong in factory housings but these bulbs are just as bright as the ones we pulled out. I had him follow me and I can't tell a difference.

So looks like we have a temp fix for now. If I do find the cure I will report back. For now we will just run it this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.