Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cool yeah I've replaced Ac clutches before I will do that file trick as well couldn't hurt. Hoping to find one with a new compressor or clutch already replaced previously to being scrapped. Yeah I do like projects. Usually I ask about Ac when buying but since its winter and in in Michigan Ac isn't my first thought but that's were he got me. I would have offered less if I had known. But that seems to be the only bad aboutthe car a I can live with it. I could sell it and leave out the non Ac part but I can't be dishonest like that, its not in me. So I figured it would be an awesome winter weekend project. It will be lots of work but in all honesty its more like tinkering and problem solving in my eyes, a challenge even, so I almost would do it even if I could sell it off and by one at a decent mark up to gain the Ac. Sounds crazy but I would rather keep it and do the swap because that's more fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put a/c in my 05 zx3 by buying a wrecked 06 and swapping the parts into the 05. Wire harness was already in the 05 except for the compressor clutch. I found the wire in the engine harness and jumped it to the compressor. Heater box under dash and 2 switches on heater panel had to be changed. No fan, computer, or programming needs to be changed.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I put a/c in my 05 zx3 by buying a wrecked 06 and swapping the parts into the 05. Wire harness was already in the 05 except for the compressor clutch. I found the wire in the engine harness and jumped it to the compressor. Heater box under dash and 2 switches on heater panel had to be changed. No fan, computer, or programming needs to be changed.
Having the correct wire harness set is the key as the AC system is really run by the PCM (compressor clutch is contolled by WOT relay which is controlled by the PCM depending on position of AC switch and cycling/pressure switches. Cooling fans also controlled by PCM). Im not sure that all non-AC Focus have the required wiring harnesses. Also I belive non-AC cars have a single fan not the dual fan the AC cars have. Im curious if the openings (holes) in the firewall for the evaporator lines were there in your non-AC car? Also did your car originally have a single or dual fan setup?

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Blind plugs in firewall, dual fans stock, switches plug and play, wiring correct except for ac clutch. Have to change heater box. Ac works in defrost, fans come on when ac is called for. Black car in summer heat the ac works great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have to take the whole dash out?
Where is the compressor clutch wire?
You just plugged in the new controls with buttons into the harness?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The dash is just a plastic cover over a steel frame. The frame has to come out to replace the heater box.
Compressor clutch wire is in the main harness connector in the engine compartment. I just cut it and spliced a wire to it and ran it over to the compressor clutch.
New controls just plug in where the non ac controls were.
Rubber plugs are in the firewall where the ac hoses connect.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts