Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, newer member here and have a question. Has anyone heard of a ford focus to NOT have air conditioning from the factory? My 06 I got has factory no ac, and I was wondering if id have to change out the guts under my dash to get ac? I looked and all mounting holes and spaces for the parts are all there. Can I just install the hard parts and switch out the temp control? Im hoping they install the same blend door and dash guts in both models but im not sure.

Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
In the rare times they do that often the airbox under dash is not the same at all, it does not have any evaporator at all and often the box is completely different in shape to be cheaper.

The HVAC controls change to drop the a/c and only mention heater on them.

All holes and locators will be there but you may have to change a LOT of parts there, you'll need a condenser and accumulator and all plumbing to them along with other things.

Pic your heater controls to show us what it looks like............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the pic. I went to my local pick and pull yard and there's multiples of my year with Ac, so I may switch out the under dash box and temp control unit then install the hard parts like the compressor and such. I can get all of it for 200 dollars and I know how to dismantle columns and dashes etc. Even though most likely no one else will ever attempt it if I do ill post pics and details about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
I would seriously study where the evaporator outlets come out of low on the pass side firewall to see for sure there is no evaporator on your car, could save a LOT of work.

I see no a/c button there, maybe no a/c. You're looking at a max effort there. BTDT on other brands.

Bear in mind the radiator and fan system and controls for it likely changes for a/c too. Not even gonna touch if the PCM has no a/c operating software inside it.......the a/c figures into half the stuff the PCM does. Take for instance the PCM auto bumping the idle up when a/c switches on, among other things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the pcm, harness, and underdash components were my biggest worry. Mainly I may have to switch harnesses and dash guts. Adding a pcm and harness to my list only adds 60 dollars to my parts list. If I need a different radiator and fan that will be another 100. So 350 for parts give or take.
I kind of was vague in my first description, but I did check and it has no compressor, condenser, Eva lines etc, so it has to be factory non Ac. Only reason im considering the Ac swap is i gotthe car for 1100, only has 119,000 miles, is the 5 so stick, and is all around in amazing shape, under body and motor cradle are mint. So I know I can install the parts, get all hardware off the car i pull the parts from, i just was looking for info like the pcm being different and needing a harness. But those thongs I can get cheap, would I have to have the new pcm flashed if it was for the same motor and trans?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,324 Posts
Really by the time you add all your labor/hours & all the correct parts, you'd be ahead by swapping for a similar car w/ a/c....

·
Registered
148 Posts
The reason you got it for $1100.00 is a least partially due to the non A/C. If you like projects you should love this one. At least when you are done it will be worth more. Admire your commitment, I would sell and get what I wanted(several bad experiences that proved my patience/money are limited). First thing they ask out here when selling is if the A/C works.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a cool project if you have the time and patience. I am happy to hear of a Focus with less equipment than my car. I have a "S" with only A/C and block heater for options. Manual window cranks, no keyless entry, manual mirrors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a cool project if you have the time and patience. I am happy to hear of a Focus with less equipment than my car. I have a "S" with only A/C and block heater for options. Manual window cranks, no keyless entry, manual mirrors.
Hahaha, that sounds just like my car! I finally swapped out the set intermittent wiper switch for an adjustable one. My local Ford dealer said it would't work, but it absolutely does!

To the OP, good luck with your project man! I had to fix the blower motor in mine, so that my fans and A/C would work. Your project sounds much more in-depth than mine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the weekends off of work and until summer and motocross season starts my weekends are boring and I like projects. I use to work on cars when I was a little younger and have removed many 2000-2008 model cars and trucks. It may sound crazy to some but once I have all the parts it will only take me a long day to swap the parts out. My local parts yard hooks me up on price (self pull yard) so for everything and I mean EVERYTHING is need they would sell it to me for 350. I could sell the car and try to find one as nice and low mileage for cheaper then the swap but doubt it. This car was pampered and drives like new and has no rot like these focuses are known for. I would rather have something to do on the weekend and only invest a total of 1450(1100+350 for parts) then try to sell a non Ac, stickshift, manual window and mirror car. I already found 3 parts cars with complete Ac systems and complete dash guts off of 05-07 focus with exact same dash. I'm also not against keeping it no Ac because the fuel mileage has been amazing. But I can pull all the parts and keep all the hardware to mount everything for a mere 350, and because I know the yard owners I can return it all if for some weird reason it can't be done. Yes it takes labor but if I enjoy spinning wrenches then its a matter of monetary issue. And at 350 I can't see why its not worth it. That price includes everything including ecm and harness. Only thing that may be different is radiator, I checked today and the fans are identical. Radiator visually looked identical but its hard to check without checking how much coolant each holds. But the radiator would only add 30 so not a deal breaker.
And yes mine is less equipped it is full manual everything except push button hatch release.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,324 Posts
Great if your up to tackling the challenge, sounds like you have a idea of how to....Basically r/r & having the patience...Possibly click of a few pix.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah first ill have to pull the parts off the donor car(s) so before I tear my car apart ill have done it once to get the parts. I still have not investigated my dash guts or see if my harness has a dummy plug for the Ac my job may be easier depending on what I find. Will be doing some more investigating over the next few days. If I decide to go for it ill snap a couple pics. I already replaced my crappy no armrest center counsel with the nice flip up arm rest one. When I asked about pricing on all the parts I may need for the Ac install when I played for the counsel that's when I began to really consider it, because of the price.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
I've seen no answer to the question OP got close to.................if the PCM gets changed you MUST have at least one matched key to go with it or you have to reflash for the PATS, the ignition keys are chipped to go with their own PCMs. Ford or specialty locksmiths but not necessarily cheap.

As well, look for a/c compressor that has clean oil inside it, if burned looking or dark oil pass it up. The accumulator can be reused if it gets sealed quick after removal, rubber plug or anything, it is dead if left sitting open to environment longer than 24 hrs. Pour the oil out of it; can check condition of oil there too, if dirty the part may have debris in it that causes later trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks amc. I can get the ecm key cylinder and key to same car if its needed. There were MANY compatible donor cars. I figured I would do the swap, including harness if needed, try it, and if it doesn't work or something seems off ill get the ecm and key/cylinder. Thanks for the Ac tips also. If I have to buy something new because of exposure I won't mind. There's 3 of these yards near me so I shouldn't have a hard time finding unexposed parts and a good compressor. I even have a jumpbox to test the Ac clutch engagement so I dont waste time pulling a few.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
I usually pop the front clutch plate too (one 8 mm. bolt)to see how much wear is left in both sides. Incidentally the airgap at the clutch should be .015"-.030' for best performance, set by thin washer shims you find when you pop that one bolt off to remove the clutch plate. I commonly run a flat file across the flats there to remove some of the wear high variables, it lets the plate come in tighter without actually being tighter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are you telling me there’s an actual inspection cover on the bell housing, like the “old days”? One that allows you to see the clutch, not just the flywheel? That would be great. I didn’t do much exploring under the car yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts