Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 06 ZX5 has started having shifting issues. When cold it does not want to go it reverse. After it warms up a little it will shift into reverse hard and slip back out. It will shift into drive with no problem, but shifts hard until it warms up. Even then it seems to shift a little harder than it should. When up to normal operating tempatures, reverse seems to work fine. The fluid and filter were just changed a few months ago, and fluid level is full. The car has just over 90K miles on it.

Is this a problem with the silenoids, or is my tranny getting ready to leave us on the side of the road? Or could it be something else?

·
Registered
46 Posts
A bad solenoid would cause the check engine light to activate, making it obvious. What you are describing is a problem common to any traditional automatic with high mileage, sticky valve body. The best way to avoid this, is to not just replace the fluid and trans filter during service, but have the transmission flushed, with the actual machine, not just dump all the fluid out. It can be expensive, about $100. Even after having the filter replaced, I would start my troubleshooting by having the trans flushed out properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts