Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Focus. I like the car, but not the airbox/air filter, for a number of reasons. K&N lists a kit for my car, #57-0595. I would like to hear from folks who have knowledge of and /or experience with this kit, and any others like it. I would like to know where it locates the filter, and what are the up- and down-sides of installing it?

I live on a farm in Kansas, which means farm roads, dust, and mice which nest everywhere (to include air filter housings) and eat anything (to include paper air filter elements - I'm hoping air filter oil will deter them).

My priorities:
- Mileage. I like it.
- Reliability. I like that, too. The filter needs to be protected from rocks, sand, water, and other environmental hazards. You asphalt surfers have it easy.
- Serviceability. It enhances reliability. I need to be able to inspect the filter regularly and easily. In my situation, blind faith in a sealed "lifetime" item is foolish, and I sure don't want to have to buy one. Even if the airbox can be opened (can it?), the need of a lift and an hour of time isn't exactly encouraging.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I understand your local needs. I also live "out of town". I replaced my 05's "lifetime filter" with a Steeda SRI. It has an oiled cone filter which is easy to access and relatively easy to clean. I recently replaced the oiled filter with an AEM dryflow filter http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm as I was concerned with the messy, toxic cleaners required, and nervous about over or under oiling after cleaning. MAF sensors do not like oil! Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MAFs don't like oil - very good point, hadn't considered it. I've plenty of experience with K&N on carb'd motorcycles, but nothing with efi. The 0595 kit hangs its K&N below the MAF, which should provide some protection, but the AEM still looks better for this purpose. About the Steeda kit's filter location - no road spray/trash hazards there, but even with the shielding I'd suspect some air pressure fluctuation when the radiator fans kick in, and I've read somewhere that efi can have problems with that. Have you experienced anything that might be caused by that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts